Can anyone lend me some rear springs for RBRR

mikeyb

Oops, I should have been a bit more specific with my requirements - what I'm after is a pair of stiffer than standard rear springs for the RBRR.  I've got an estate pair on standby in case no others turn up, but as the car is slightly lowered already am thinking will make it sit up at the rear.

Thanks again for all your responses!

Mike!

From CW I know the poundage I wan't - 575LBs.  The internal diameter should be the same as any of the saloon rear springs - just need to measure one, then the last crucial measurement to obtain is the lenght - a bit more tricky as the car is already lowered and I don't want to raise it up again significantly.  I suspect it would be simpler to pop one off and go for the same lenght again.  

Merlin say if the internal diameter is 2.25 or 2.5 inches, then there are plently of springs to choose from off the shelf, any other size has to be made!

I cant help it sorry !
Anyway I spoke to CW today and asked him for the spec he was reluctant to give me the details just for us to go and copy them with Merlin Motor sport which I can fully understand-wouldnt make good  business sense and -he has been very good to me and other club members so I wouldnt want to wind him up
Belive it or not the steel for spring makers in the uk is now imported to shefield from Germany- how ironic is that! also with only a few places left making springs for suppliers like CW, Merlin etc they tend to have a long lead time (I know of only one place in London that will make springs compared to at least a dozen 20 odd years ago)- I guess this is why Merlin siad if they were off the shelf they could help you in time
But he did expalin he has all the other range of springs in stock- it was at that point that we realised I am running MK1 FRR 475 lbs 1" lowered- I went for those to give a bit more "bounce" over the rough lanes I was rallying the car on and you dont run the risk of de-coupling (thers a hint there as to the rough  length of 575 lbs!) with a standard length damper (cheaper)-we had ,had  the same convesation about 6 years ago!
I have had no problems with the 475 lbs for road rallying with rough speacial tests thrown in -hence I am going to repalce my saggy ones with new 475 lbs -which he has in stock -as a plan B  I would reckon you would be fine on the RBR on a pair of 475lbs -how shaged are the ones on it ?
You could always sell them after the RBR -I would have them as a spare set! -then put the 575lbs on when back in stock-Anyway just a plan B thought for you!
Have I made enough comments about "saggy ones" "standard length" to be told to grow up again yet!! ;D

I am running 575 items in my car, must say that I find them ideal for road use. However I am concerned about yumping, and the fact that the spring could pop out. Gonna get Dale at Moordale to fit some tubes to prevent this once the RBRR has been and gone.

I have used my car fairly heavily laden in Scotland have found no issues with bottoming out. The car is not as low as Doug Thompson's, I was parked beside his at The Plough the other night and I reckon Doug's car is a good 40mm lower than mine at the back.

Andy P: Are you still on 13'' wheels?

Well, internal diameter of the saloon rear spring is 2.75".  Unfortunately that is an "odd" size as far as Merlin & Demon Tweeks are concerned.  Rally Design didn't answer the phone!

Thankfully I'm sorted for the RBRR (cheers Gary), I'll buy a set from CW when he next has stock!

Archived