stillnotfinnished wrote:
hi can anyone tell me if 175 60 tyres will fit on herald 4.5 wheels?
thank you :-/

No, minimum 5.0 width, ideally 5.5
Also thats a very small diameter tyre compared with standard, 165/70 would fit 4.5 wheels or 175/70 is what many people fit to wider wheels.
Have a look at this: http://www.mintylamb.co.uk/?page=tyre.htm

I've got 175/70-R13 on my car with 5.5J's with what I think is a 0 offset. I have short half-shafts. One rear tyre rubs a tiny amount - but that's because the body isn't true on the chassis. Let's not talk about my front wheels...

I've been running 175/70s on my 4.5J wires on my GT6 for 2 years now, and did the 2006 RBRR on them, so I think I can safely say it is fine to run 175/70s on 4.5Js!

I run them at 28psi and this seems a good amount.  I cannot stress enough just how much better my car handles on these tyres.  

Saying this, I did have to cut the inside lip off the front wheel arches as the excess metal cut into the tyres due to the width. You will have to do this, too, if you want to run on 175/70s.

Granted I do plan to go onto 5.5J steels, but that's because I plan to hoon my car round cones and other rally type stuff on a regular basis.  For road use they are fine on 4.5Js IMO.

Time was, back when the 175/70 was a popular size, that many tire manufacturers recommended a rim width between 4.5"-6" for that size; nowadays, you don't much see the 4.5" recommendation, but that could be because not many newer vehicles have that narrow a rim?

I've run that size off and on for over 30 years on 4.5" early GT6 steel rims and have never had any problems at all. Back in the day, that included many, many autocrosses (Solo II events in the States) in the GT6. Currently, I've been using the same combination on my Herald 1200 sedan. I never had any clearance problems on either car; again, this was with steel wheels. I can understand how wires, giving perhaps a slightly wider track, could cause clearance problems.

The only tire problem I ever had was back in the late 1970s, when I had a belt separate. But that was a flaw in the tire and not due to any problems with the size of the rim.

herald948 wrote:
I never had any clearance problems on either car; again, this was with steel wheels. I can understand how wires, giving perhaps a slightly wider track, could cause clearance problems.

Good point. Thinking about it, of course, I've fitted 1" lower than standard front springs so the arches are closer to the tyres. Add to this the 1/4" extra width the wheels probably stick out due to the spline that the wire wheels attaches to and you have clearance issues.  Standard set up shouldn't see a problem.

My vitesse runs/ran 175/70 13 on 5.5j wheels with a swingspring and std (short) 1/2shafts with no rubbing at the rear, just the occaisional touch at the front, mainly because of the low suspension. The lip could easily be cut back, and bonnet adjustment impoved to make it central!

clive

As a point of interest I went on a hunt of the recommended wheel widths for the tyre size 175/70/13.

For my tyre which is made by Uniroyal, the minimum recommended wheel width is 4.5". Recommended is 5". Maximum width 6".

So there you have it. 4.5J is fine, and covered in the manufacturers own recommendations.

Archived