tr6driver

I understand the desire to keep things stock among most folks, but I have a question nonetheless.  What's the widest width wheel that people have successfully used on a Mk. I with original length (i.e. shorter) axles?  I understand TR6 wheels fit; they are 5-1/2", I believe?  Thanks for any assistance!

I've got 15 x 7's on my MKII, so I'm sure they'll fit a MK1 with narrower rear track. They came from Chris Witor, so the offset should be right for both.

I'm using 205/50R15s with no problems. Was advised that 195's would look a bit stretched on 7" rims.

Russell.

[i've got 15 x 7's on my mkii, so i'm sure they'll fit a mk1 with narrower rear track. they came from chris witor, so the offset should be right for both.]

Maybe not ! My 6x14's fit fine on a Mk1 rear axle but hit the arches with a Mk2 axle and that was with 185/65's

Garry

[quote by=timbancroft61 link=Blah.pl?b=2000,m=1181572501,s=4 date=1181577786]I think TR6 steels can also be found in 6J widths.
[/quote]

Ah, that makes sense. I was looking at the picture of this TR6 for sale at the weekend and thinking - "... those wheels look much wider than normal?"

This is why I'm asking:
<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=019&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=290125974590&rd=1,1>

Seems like a really good price, bolt circle is correct...0 offset is correct for TR6's but I don't know about the Saloons/Estates...

Wow, they are lovely wheels. I'm sure the red centres would only suit certain car colours, but the mini-light style with that polished deep rim looks great.

Not sure if this helps, but I've just measured up my spare 15x7

Hub Mount Face to Inner Edge = 125mm (does this mean 4.92 inch backspacing?)
Hub Mount Face to Outer Edge = 70mm

Once again, these fit my MKII, which is an estate, so the rear body is the same as yours but with the wider track. They are very close to the wheel arch lips, but don't rub.

Russell.

I think those wheel may fit (just) at the back but might be a little tight at the front

The 7*15 ML that Russel has "stick out" one inch less (or 25mm)  than those advertised.  This will mean with the Mk1 rear  track that you may be OK... not so sure at the front  :-/

it's not some much the width that's crucial, it's the offset . . . take that from someone who bought a great set of 5 spoke revs for the Mk2 only to find out they don't tuck under the back!

Here's hoping they fit the Stag!

Thanks to everyone for all the help!  I'll go home tonight and take some measurements; may not be in time for this auction, but will be in time for others (they are listed quite often) if things fit up OK.

BTW, yes, they ARE bright, but the car will be white (cream) with a red interior when complete, so it's fitting...

I should probably be spending more time with the welder anyway!  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived