spotlight

I'm sure this has been covered before. Is the offset of TR6 wheels such that they will fit striaght on a mark 2 2500 tc

My present set up is standard 13 inch steels with 80 profile tryes. The new ones would be 15 inch with 65 profile. The minty lamb thing illustrates that the rolling radius is hardly affected but will they fit?

Should fit fine, theres a thread on the http://www.triumph2000register.co.uk  site about it, several people have them fitted.

Only thing to watch is they can cause rubbing on the arch if you have worn bushes at the rear, but this can be sorted by loosening the bolts slightly and getting a couple of mates to heave the car over from whichever side is rubbing, crude but effective!

Good luck, plus when done they look really really cool!

You could fit TR6 wheels but it would be cheaper to simply remove the hubcaps from your current wheels.  The effect is much the same......

From what I can find on the interweb, the TR6 steels have a different offset to saloon wheels although there is some confusion on the subject.  If this is the case then you shouldn't fit them, they'll screw up the steering geometry.

Measure the offset if in doubt.

jcarruthers wrote:
There are two types of TR6 wheel - with different offset.

I know theres the early and later TR6 wheels, one with the trim fasteners for the chrome ring and one without, I thought the offset was the same tho?

"they'll screw up the steering geometry. "

Hows that then? They only stick out a wee bit wider than saloon wheels. I haven't noticed any significant change in geomety with my 15x7 minilites and they stick out a fair way.

so does that mean that tr6 cars with later rims are dangerous compared to those with the different offset early rims?!!!!!  changes to spec can mean improvement- manufacturers do it, so don't be too put off by all you read!

My mk2 has tr6 rims the ride is transformed.
Mine has 195 60 15's in hindsight I think 185 may have been a better option as mine are very close to the rear lip.
However I've yet to change my rear bushes and am hoping this will compensate a bit.
As for messing up steering geometry... well mines non pas and the steering is now more direct and lighter when parking as the tyre wall does'nt flex as much.

Worthwhile modification?
OH YES!! ;D 8)

xyv wrote:
so does that mean that tr6 cars with later rims are dangerous compared to those with the different offset early rims?!!!!!  changes to spec can mean improvement- manufacturers do it, so don't be too put off by all you read!

It depends on why they changed the wheel design.  Maybe there were alterations to the rest of the suspension geometry too? Maybe they wanted to reduce tramlining or alter some other characteristic of the steering?  It may well be dangerous to fit the wrong wheels.  Today, I read about TR6 owners fitting wheel spacers and grinding away bits of their suspension so that they could fit the wheels that "looked right" ::) That does strike me as being dangerous.

Ever seen technical drawings of the 2000's suspension?  It most certainly was designed to a high degree of accuracy!!  

Alex, the transformation of your car is more likely to be because of the fact that you replaced old tyres with new rather than the actual tyre size.  Mine was similarly transformed when I replaced the saggy, perished old 175 tyres with a new set. ;D

Most people don't appreciate the complexity of suspension and steering design and the effect that making even minor changes can have.  I'm sure it's possible to improve the driving characteristics of a 2000 by altering the suspension geometry but you really need to know what you're talking about before you do so.

sorbs wrote:

Alex, the transformation of your car is more likely to be because of the fact that you replaced old tyres with new rather than the actual tyre size.  

To be honest the front tyres on mine were in reasonable condition,correct pressure etc.
The new ones have a wider contact area and less sidewall they have also widened the track.
Whilst I appreciate that the geometry has changed if it drives better, handles better,looks better and is easier to turn the wheel at parking speed then its got to be a winner!

Mine also has a 13" steering wheel so you'd think it'd be really heavy ..its not!

Cheers Alex

as we know from morris minor kingpins. marina hubs, spitfire trunnions and so on, it is often later discovered that the original design of things, no matter how technical they appear, isn't as good as it's supposed to be! also you will find that sportier models in a range often have different geometry set up to to standard models, it's not a problem to alter it, as long as you don't go silly, ask the experts if in doubt about what you intend to do.

My mate's Renault 19 16V had completely different suspension geometry to a normal 19.  Most notably, the front struts tops were mounted on adaptor plates in their turrets to relocate them.  It cornered amazingly but ate front tyres and had alarming lift off oversteer  :)

I just despair when I see people carry out dubious and poorly researched mods to their cars, especially when cosmetics seem to be the over-riding concern.  

This thread would appear to be heading in a different direction now.

The original question was regarding fitting tr6 rims, I have them and they look great however the ride quality and drivability have improved loads.
Mine were fitted mainly for handling if I were looking for cosmetics theres cheaper things I could have done!

Having said that they look cool! 8)

yes i fitted tr6 rims to my mk2 2000, but the rears hit the arches under load and cornering, went back to s rims with 185s in the end, didn't look as good but as sorbs says it aint always about looks!  i hope you get on alright with these alex, RBRR is looming!!!!

Archived