Replacing the wire wheels for a time....

Burnerboy

I am looking to take off the wire wheels and replace them with something a little sturdier and easy to balance for doing things like the 10CR and other distance events. I would like to keep the splined hub adapters so it is a quick change over from wires to my choice of alloys but what alloys are available with centre splines?

Running 13 x 5.5J wires at the moment, not sure of the offset though.

Help anyone? :)

The adapters are so easy to take off anyway - and there must be quite a premium over normal alloys...?

Plus you still have the problem of splines wearing down - be best to save the life of the hub adapters for the wires I would think.

A decent set of steels will do you good if you want sturdy :)

Thanks guys, I had sort of reached the same conclusion myself. I was just thinking of taking an easy route but it would come at too much of a premium and, as you rightly point out James, I would still have the problem of wear on the hub splines.

Paul,

If going  for a set of Steels, don't bother about the commonly used 5.5J Dunlop holed steels. Too dear and most are warped.

Look at a set of Weller 5.5J steels, good price about £47.00 each. Only snag is that you may need to go to bigger wheel studs- use TR6- thread size is 7/16unf. All the major part suppliers sell them- simply bang out the old 3/8unf studs and pull the new ones in using a buigger nut as a spacer. TYou will need to dismantle the rear brakes- hardly difficult.
http://www.wellerwheels.co.uk

Unfortunately they seem to sell them in white or black colours only these days.I have a set I got of a fellow CT member- better than the Dunlops.

Archived