Wheels for Spitfire / GT6

01alam

Hello All,

I have got a Spitfire 1500 and like all of us, I like to upgrade my wheels, I am wondering  other than mini-lites and the wolfrace wheels, what other wheels will fit the Spitfire? Is it the same pattern as the TR4a? I actually quite fancy some Dolomite wheels, but not sure if they will fit? Does anyone know about the PCD and ET of the Spitifre? I would really appreciate your help.

Regards,
Angus

Hi all,

I am going to fit some dolly sprint alloys to my spitfire today. I have the wheels refurbished, new tyres and new nuts. I don't have spacers so will report back. If it does need spacers i'll need to source them - any ideas?

If i can't can't any spacers i may ebay them and buy some minilites or wolfraces - but everyone has them!

Ross

Ross,
Dolly alloys need steel sleeve nuts.   The original nuts were also alloy and will have worn out by now.  Don't trust them.  Chris Witor sells the steel nuts.

Longer studs.   The alloys are much thicker than modern alloys.  So despite the recess in the wheel hub, the nuts are much longer.   And they need to be full thickness  - you can't get longer versions of the weird waisted stud that Triumph fitted, that are 3/8 at the base and 5/16 in the threaded part.   Ford or Land Rover studs are the ones.

Spacers?  I think so, to clear the radius arm, but can't be certain due to Spitfire/Vitesse differences.   I used dummy spacers made from hardboard and plywood in different thicknesses to determine what was needed.  Any 'perfomance' shop will sell you alloy spacers.

Good luck!
Jiohn

Thanks Angus and John,

I have new dolly nuts from quiller (asked for ones to fit dolly wheels to a spit) as I was aware of the need for them.  Having now fitted the wheels and been unable to get them tight I can understand the need for spacers.

Initial thoughts before fitting them were to ebay the dolly wheels and get some minilites, but have a look at the attached photo - they look great (in my opinion) so I guess I'll buy some spacers!

I'm just going to draw up the standard and dolly wheels and get my head round backspace and offsets. Will report back.......

Looks good! I've always liked the look of those GKN alloys. They used to make 'em just down the road from me in Birmingham. The factories still there making UJ's and rebuilding overdrives along with loads of other stuff.

Looking at them now it's strange to see how the first alloy wheel on a production was black with polished highlights, a colour scheme thats come back into fashion in a huge way with the current crop of boy racers.

willcolumbine wrote:
Looks good! I've always liked the look of those GKN alloys. They used to make 'em just down the road from me in Birmingham. The factories still there making UJ's and rebuilding overdrives along with loads of other stuff.

The UJ's are now made abroad, Minworth GKN box them up in nice green 'Hardy Spicer' packaging.

rossybrown wrote:
Thanks Angus and John,

I have new dolly nuts from quiller (asked for ones to fit dolly wheels to a spit) as I was aware of the need for them.  Having now fitted the wheels and been unable to get them tight I can understand the need for spacers.

Initial thoughts before fitting them were to ebay the dolly wheels and get some minilites, but have a look at the attached photo - they look great (in my opinion) so I guess I'll buy some spacers!

I'm just going to draw up the standard and dolly wheels and get my head round backspace and offsets. Will report back.......

That looks really cool, Personally I am split between those Dolomite wheels and the MGF alloys (for grip, and they look like minilites), but as far as I am concern it seems both would need a 19mm spacer?

Angus

I've personally never been one for modern wheels on a classic - but that's just my opinion.  

It seems the offset for the dolly wheels is 35mm and standard spit is 13mm. So the 19mm Moss kit will solve any clearance issues.  I'm just trying to get my head round whether the standard studs will be long enough. The moss kit comes with studs so i may call and see how long they are and what thread.  John's post mentioned using Ford studs.

Cheers,

Ross

rossybrown wrote:
I've personally never been one for modern wheels on a classic - but that's just my opinion.  

It seems the offset for the dolly wheels is 35mm and standard spit is 13mm. So the 19mm Moss kit will solve any clearance issues.

Agree on the modern wheels.

The standard Spit is 22mm offset not 13mm, it's stamped on the wheel as 0.88". (Measure your old wheels if they're standard)

01alam wrote:
I read somewhere that Sierra or Land Rover nuts fit. Good luck with your installation!

The studs fit the hubs but they have a bigger metric M12 thread so you'd need different nuts. Don't know if they'd fit Dolly wheels?

Archived