TimW

Looking VERY tiny - you need more power me thinks.

I have this one (scroll down) : http://thetriumphanimal.blogspot.com/2007/11/welding-in-new-rear-wing-and-rear.html

380 Volt, 16Amp. Can burn through everything  8)

Need a lot of practice - and very clean surfaces.

Yes Jens would love one but cost would be out of the question.

As a matter of interest I often make my spot welds with a gas torch rather than my mig , sometimes I drill a hole and fill with weld and sometimes I just weld straight through - depends upon my mood and the circumstances.

Gives an excellent strong weld but you do have to be careful about heat spread and distortion so I only usually only do this on a flange.  To prevent distortion you do need to clamp each side of the weld point which is not a problem for me as I have accumulated loads of vise/mole clamps over the years, and have modified a flat one with slots which I make my welds through.  Some grinding back of the 'spot' weld top is often required as is dressing with a panel hammer and dolly to give the finished look.

Very unconventional I know  :-/ but when welding metal which still has some corrosion pits on the joining faces of the metal which would seriously weaken the surrounding metal if I tried to remove them, it ensures a very good weld.  Also the heat 'denatures' the rust and makes it ineffective, and if you prime first with a weld through zinc primer the heat can sometimes make the zinc content actually 'tin' the metal.

Not many would want to follow this because it is VERY slow work but now I am retired this matters less 8)

Ted

JensH wrote:
Looking VERY tiny - you need more power me thinks.

I have this one (scroll down) : http://thetriumphanimal.blogspot.com/2007/11/welding-in-new-rear-wing-and-rear.html

380 Volt, 16Amp. Can burn through everything  8)

Need a lot of practice - and very clean surfaces.

I have used those spot welders in the past but the cost of them puts me off.  

1526 wrote:
Yes Jens would love one but cost would be out of the question.

As a matter of interest I often make my spot welds with a gas torch rather than my mig , sometimes I drill a hole and fill with weld and sometimes I just weld straight through - depends upon my mood and the circumstances.

Gives an excellent strong weld but you do have to be careful about heat spread and distortion so I only usually only do this on a flange.  To prevent distortion you do need to clamp each side of the weld point which is not a problem for me as I have accumulated loads of vise/mole clamps over the years, and have modified a flat one with slots which I make my welds through.  Some grinding back of the 'spot' weld top is often required as is dressing with a panel hammer and dolly to give the finished look.

Very unconventional I know  :-/ but when welding metal which still has some corrosion pits on the joining faces of the metal which would seriously weaken the surrounding metal if I tried to remove them, it ensures a very good weld.  Also the heat 'denatures' the rust and makes it ineffective, and if you prime first with a weld through zinc primer the heat can sometimes make the zinc content actually 'tin' the metal.

Not many would want to follow this because it is VERY slow work but now I am retired this matters less 8)

Ted

WOW Ted you have way too much time on your hands!!!! ;D

Archived