Spitfire 1500 Running problems

jackjonesparkes

Hi guys and gals im new to the spitfire scene so go easy!

Recently bought myself a spitfire that has just been rebuilt by the guy i received it from! tried to take it for a test drive one of the days and the car was really groggy and would cut out as i was slowing down or sat at traffic lights etc. I'd have to restart the car to get it moving again. When driving the throttle response wasn't great and would take a while to catch up.

Weather has been naff since then so haven't had chance to start it or investigate since then but i have done today. Couldn't get her started originally so spark tested all the ignition leads. I believe my NO.1 lead was faulty so swapped it out with NO.2 and she managed to start. After starting however even with full choke out if i took my foot off the accelerator she would slowly bog down and cut out. Is this going to be attributed to the ignition lead only? or after replacing will i need to investigate other things too? I'm not great with fault diagnosing cars but can happily fix them if i know the issue! Any help would be appreciated! 

Jack

You need to check:

plugs are set at 25 thou and clean

all leads are sparking at the plug(plug out ,lead on hold to earth)

is it still points?..If so check,clean, and reset, maybe change condensor

Clean dizzy cap contacts

Remove dash pots and set the jets (by winding up to base and wind back down two full turns,12 flats)

Top up oil in dash pots

.......then start up and check running and tweaking

Quoted from Velocita Rosso-

You need to check:

plugs are set at 25 thou and clean

all leads are sparking at the plug(plug out ,lead on hold to earth)

is it still points?..If so check,clean, and reset, maybe change condensor

Clean dizzy cap contacts

Remove dash pots and set the jets (by winding up to base and wind back down two full turns,12 flats)

Top up oil in dash pots

.......then start up and check running and tweaking

So went out today, checked the plugs were set right, all good, checked they sparked at earth, all good. Condenser and dizzy cap were all clean and fine. Started her up and had to have choke fully out, after about 10-15 she was idling on choke without fully dying but as soon as choke went in she would immediately cut out, restarts fine just cant have her not running on choke so cant drive it! Then out came an angry neighbor as id been running the engine a long time and the car is rather loud so had to call it for today. Do you think the next step would be to try and adjust the carb? or does it sound like a diff issue? 

The next step would be to get rid of your neighbour....

Do the carbs, take off the piston chambers, screw the jets up to the carb base, then screw back down two full turns eg 12 flats of the brass nut underneath, check to see the linkage is synchronised and both carbs opening at the same time. Top up the pistons with a drop of oil .Then retry   

Or ask him to have a go at the builders next door to me, who have NO reason to turn their radio that loud.

Anyway, in addition to the jet setting, you should probably re-set the idle screw to a sensible default. You may be needing the choke "fast idle" cam to get any throttle opening. Also check the ignition timing.

What exhaust do you have on it? You said it was "loud"?

🤣

Whenever I have to do any prolonged carb tuning, I try and drive to a secluded spot for exactly this reason.

But before you do that I would check the valve/rocker clearances, which you need to do with the engine cold. And the points gap (hot or cold, doesn't matter). If these are far out of spec then no amount of carburettor adjustment will get a smooth idle speed. 

Have you got a set of feeler gauges and a Haynes manual? 

Pete