MGF Wheels ON A Mk 4

nang

Had these on for a while now and quite happy with them. Running 185x55x15's. Only prob is that occasionally on undulating surfaces the right rear is touching the mudflap.  Shocks are new so not the problem.I don't really want to raise the height. Anyone fitted a bit smaller tyres on the rear? Thinking of 175x55x15's. Do you think it would lower the car too much.
Looking at tyre charts they're only about 1cm smaller in diameter which would cure my problem.
Tony.

Tony,
The 175 tyre would have a final diameter closer to the standard tyre's diameter, so it shouldn't cause trouble in that way.
                                                                                        Cheers,
                                                                                        Paul

my spit suffered with the 505/50/15 tyres. Only noticed when we were loaded and about to leave for le mans a few years ago. Quick and dirty solution was to grab a scaffold tube and roll that between the tyre and arches a few times. Gave just enough extra to solve the problem.

Yeah, the funny thing is I had clearance all round, until I put the correct axle in the right rear. P/O had a Herald axle and a 12mm spacer would you believe, not even a 1" spacer ! I've now corrected this and having the clearance problems. My next check is to see if I have the correct Mk4 radius arms fitted. I see from Canleys list the Mk4 ones are different from earlier ones.
Tony.

Could it be that the shorter axle with spacer were fitted to overcome a bodywork problem instead of pulling the bodywork to its correct position when damage had been repaired?

Easier than re-doing the bodywork, so an attractive way out.

Possibly some measuring is in order Tony.

Note the brands of tyres differ in tread profile, the 15" 205/50 in Avon form fitted no probs on the rear but some Marangoni's rubbed on large suspension movement at the arch and inner wing, and semi-slick track tyres rubbed all the time with liitle movement.

I opted for the Avons curved end tread profile after some trial and error but tight. 185/55 would have fitted no probs at all width wise but close to the end of the wheel arch. I have the longer 1500 drive shafts on my mk4 and no mud flaps.

You say they are hitting the mud flaps, is it a diameter problem or width problem you have Tony? It is a squeeze fitting the 15" in the rear with tyres that assist the suspension IE a flexible sidewall.... is it not worth simply removing the mud flaps?

Looking at this photo of yours ( I just LOVE those seat covers...! ;)  ) compared to mine,  the tyres seem a little close to the flaps, indicating set too far back are you getting any tyre scrub indicating radius arm fault/toeing in or out?

I have a heap of detailed invoices from p/o's. Seems the original axle was worn on the bearing surfaces and the garage who did the job couldn't find a correct replacement in NZ so did the mod with the herald axle. I have a new radius rod from Canley's and am going to remove the present one and compare with the new. It's definately a diameter problem. Witness marks on one screw only which I've now changed but it's still a bit close for my liking.
No sign of previous body damage so I don't think that is the problem.
I'll work through it and hopefully find the problem.
Tony.