Advice on knocking out wheel studs please

John Bonnett

I'm making the change to M12 wheel studs and intend to follow the well trodden route of doing the rear ones in situ. My concern is that they will be very tight and I'm afraid of damaging the hub flange when I remove them with a heavy hammer. I was planning to get a weight behind but would appreciate any advice please.

Thank you

John

They usually knock out pretty easily, without undue violence.  Couple of solid clouts or a few more lighter ones. Getting them back in can be more challenging.

One thing you will likely find seeing as you have rotoflex with a fat bearing housing right behind the rear wheel flange is that also you can just wriggle the standard studs in and out, anything bigger causes problems.  On mine, when fitting the M12 Freelander studs (which fit nicely), I had to drill a hole in the brake backplate to feed them through.  Irritating but not a complete disaster.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones
They usually knock out pretty easily, without undue violence.  Couple of solid clouts or a few more lighter ones. Getting them back in can be more challenging.

One thing you will likely find seeing as you have rotoflex with a fat bearing housing right behind the rear wheel flange is that also you can just wriggle the standard studs in and out, anything bigger causes problems.  On mine, when fitting the M12 Freelander studs (which fit nicely), I had to drill a hole in the brake backplate to feed them through.  Irritating but not a complete disaster.

Nick

Yes that was my plan Nick. Drill a 20mm hole in the back plate with a hole saw. Can that be done from the front by rotating the flange to a suitable position?

I recently replace the standard studs with M12 on my Mk2 GT6, and I found it easy just to pull the hubs off in situ knock out the studs and replace on the bench. That way you can belt the studs fully home on a vice and not rely on pulling them through with a wheel nut. Possible but awkward to drill the backplates on a rotoflex set-up, not a lot of room.

Mark

Quoted from GT6 M
John, ye,ll need new nuts too,
so suggest that thee,s are considered
vv light, strong, and rust proof,unlike alot of others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TITA.....d:g:e7EAAOSw9mFWLftn

5 diff colours too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.ht.....p;_skc=600&rt=nc

M

Doesn`t say what the `black` is....looking shiny looks like powder coating.....that may crack?

Re the studs ,I managed to knock the old studs out in situ, and at one point in one corner they drop out without touching the back plate and pulling the new through by spacing a wheel nut
For the front...very different... the hubs have to come off

Doesn`t say what the `black` is....looking shiny looks like powder coating.....that may crack?, Says Mike

Ive had thee,s on for 5 or moer odd years noo,
no sign of cracking, nee rust.  not even a rust discolouration eitha,
So only going by my observations.

Not only that, but every one a spline drive, so unless ye got the socket, then they cant be pinched either.

Chriss got em in red, for his T6

M

Quoted from GT6 M
John, ye,ll need new nuts too,
so suggest that thee,s are considered
vv light, strong, and rust proof,unlike alot of others

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TITA.....d:g:e7EAAOSw9mFWLftn

5 diff colours too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.ht.....p;_skc=600&rt=nc

M

JBW offered to exchange my 3/8 UNF wheelnuts for M12 free of charge including delivery. I posted mine off to them on Monday and the replacements arrived today. What fantastic service.