Fan belt misalignment 1500 Spitfire

John Bonnett

I've known for some time that the three pulleys are out of line but don't know why. I've just taken off the belt and after no more than three thousand miles it is cracked between the teeth in many places and I guess not far off failing. The water pump sits about 4mm forward of the crank pulley and i have adjusted the alternator to be middle for diddle between the two. I have an alloy water pump housing but the pump and crank pulley are standard.

I would appreciate it if anyone with a 1500 Spit could put a straight edge across the pulley faces and check what theirs are like.

Thank you

John

I wouldnt have expected misalignment to have caused cracking but more like heavier wear on the edges of the vee belt however is it possible that you have the wrong water pump fitted? I know theres several different types available but dont know what the differences are.....

Quoted from glang
I wouldnt have expected misalignment to have caused cracking but more like heavier wear on the edges of the vee belt however is it possible that you have the wrong water pump fitted? I know theres several different types available but dont know what the differences are.....

The water pump is the right one for the 1500 engine and the distance of the front face of the pulley from the sealing face has been verified as correct by another forum member. As for the cracking on the belt, perhaps it was just a rubbish belt. I've now got a Gates replacement. Incidentally, I could not get the 1088 belt on but the 1100 one fitted.

Quoted from Dannyb
i'll have a look tonight when I get home

Thank you Danny. If it is not too much trouble could you please measure the distance of the front face of the water pump pulley to the sealing face. And also if it is stamped on the size of the fan belt.

With many thanks

John

Hi John, I have measure from the sealing face of the waterpump to the outer edge of the pully it is 48mm
I put a straight edge between the outerface crank and water pump pulleys and they look dead level.
I have the same fan belt fitted for the last 13years no problems. There are no markings on the belt.
Hope this helps

Danny

Thank you so much Danny for taking the trouble to measure up. The water pump measurement is the same as mine. It is in front of the crankshaft pulley by about 4mm. I'm now wondering if the problem is with the aluminium water pump housing.

Thank you once again

John

John,
      The water pummp housing is hard to measure because of the shape but I've had a go and from the gasket face of the pump back to the flat side where the external water pump connects is 35mm but there could be a raised face on the housing where it meets the block. The only sure measurement would be for someone to measure one off the car.

Danny

John, no so much up on Spittys,
but on the Sixs, there shims behint the crank pully

on mine, there were shims for the crank sproket
and also shims for the pully,there wer 2, 10 thou shims in there.

so mebe yer missing crank pully shims,!!!

M

Quoted from GT6 M
John, no so much up on Spittys,
but on the Sixs, there shims behint the crank pully

on mine, there were shims for the crank sproket
and also shims for the pully,there wer 2, 10 thou shims in there.

so mebe yer missing crank pully shims,!!!

M

We are talking more than shims here Marcus. There's a difference of three or four mms.

Quoted from GT6 M
well if the crank pulley is set in, then it needs to come ootwards

or is this OK, and other 2, water and alt pully at fault.

M

I've set the alternator so that it's in the middle. The crank pulley is in compared with the water pump pulley and the alternator pulley is out from the crank but in from the water pump. Using Danny's measurement I suspect the aftermarket aluminium water pump housing is 4mm too thick.

With the belt removed, placing a piece of dowel or rod in the V of a pulley avoids the variable of different pulley overall widths.
This will show if the pulleys are at right angles to the driving shaft as well as showing the alignment the belt will run at.
It is also a way of checking that the pulley is not bent by rotating the pulley and seeing if the end of the dowel moves.