Camshaft endfloat

mowerman

Now I am trying to refit the camshaft in the block and have come up against a small problem, Mr Haynes says camshaft endfloat should be between 4-8 thou. If I refit the keeper plate and bolt it down the cam locks solid and wont move :( I have tried shimming the plate with various thickness` of shim to no avail, every time I tighten the bolts it all locks up again. The keeper plate is original with no signs of wear etc. However if I only tighten the bolts to 6-8Lbs foot then I have 4thou of endfloat :) The only difference from std is a new alloy front plate. I have scoured all the manuals I have for a torque setting for the keeper bolts but cannot find one  >:(  Does anyone know of the torque setting for these bolts as I dont really want them coming undone whilst the engine is running :(

I don't have the figures to hand but as they are only 5/16" sets I shouldn't imagine they should go much more than 20lbft? Someone will jump in with the info I'm sure. I occasionally get a tight cam keeper plate when everything looks good, swapping for another plate cures 9 out of 10, engine plate very rarely if ever is the culprit.

Archived