Ways to tune the Sprint engine ???

Ellis

One thing I have found that really improves the performance is allowing a couple of the manifold bolts to fall out....  Driving the car home from it's holiday at Mr & Mrs Nutter Snr's (aka Mum & Dad's), the car was making a noise which I can only describe as "Fhutting" - it kinda sounds like a Putt, but without the "P"...  OK, purse your lips like this :K), then blow like this :P.... Kinda like that sound !!!!

Anyway, I dare say this isn't improving performance.... Another thing to add to the list of stuff to do !!!  ::) 

I've actually done a bit of research on this... Although Triumph did the original design, the engine is very different to that of the Sprint. One comment made was the only part the two shared was the valve gapping shims !!!  I think it's safe to say anything is possible, but I don't think it's an easy conversion and the other thing being is where to put the turbo...  The Saab 99 & 900 had rather bigger engine bays than the TR7.  Nice thought though, a turbo charged TR7...  ;D

you need 4 lt V8 s you really DO ,space framed tvr running gear..... Tuning the sprint..small budget? hmmm decent exhuast,electronic ignigtion,just so you dont loose out when the points eat themselves every 2,000 miles,go for a slightly bigger Needle and Jet coupled with some ram pipes on the SU s or go for twin 40s,then go for wilder cam etc

OK.... cheers Andy... at least I'm going the right route....  Tubular manifold and sports exhaust already on, K&Ns (need the ram pipes though) - Needles have been changed, but may need even more as when Dale was tuning it, he had to leave it running slightly rich to compensate. I've got a fast road cam, but I'm not sure what spec it is and how it will affect the running of the car. I've always thought they tended to make the car run a bit rough. Any thoughts ??? 

Tuning any engine the general rules apply,make it more efficient,get more air and fuel in!once you have got it in you have to get the burnt stuff out!
So exhaust wise you are ok,apart from putting different exhaust valves in,porting the head etc which is way out of budget,same applies to the inlet,but you have got a different profile of cam,If it is a fairly mild one I am guessing only the inlet duration has been changed ie the inlets stay open longer thus to take advantage of this you want to get some more fuel air mix in,thus try a larger Jet needle set up.look on the 2.5/2000 thread Nigel posted up a web site that helps you find a starting point in the mods and tweeks disscusion,then take it to a rolling road,but before  get everything you have got, working bang on,the timing should be advanced as you can safley go without pinking, a mildly tuned engine would be  around 10 degrees BTDC?dont worry about the tickover being around 1,000rpm with a modified cam.
Ram pipes are for fine tuning but do help as the way they affect the flow of air into the carb,longer pipes=more torque,shorter pipes help achive higer rpm
All these tips on general performace tweeking are in one of my weber books which you are more than welcome to borrow,
As for being a bit rough,well it will get a bit more peaky the further you modify the cam profile and  overlap timing etc but work out where in the rev range you drive the car most and go for a set up that delivers peak POWER not Bhp at that point,and you should have something you can live with,the Bus kicks out peak power around 3,000 rpm which suits me but it isnt as "quick" as some with the same BHP output! its all part of the fun of tweeking! Have fun !!

Thanks mate - really helpful advice. I'm gonna have to look into this cam. It's apparently quite a rare one. The guy I got the engine from originally (v8 Stag power power Dolly) was going to town on it, but then decided to do the v8 route instead. I've got an inlet manifold that has been modified to take 2" SUs - that could be fun !!!  It's like you say, it's trying to find that balance, I don't want to end up with a car that's undrivable... still could be fun trying to find the balance. I'll be needing to put a roll bar in next !!!  ;D

sorry, back to saab turbo again, yes it does fit developed in conjunction with saab, and contary to popular belief it was saab who buit first prototype engine , and works well. Terry vanderzee old me to do it if you want reliablity for road use,although he loves the triumph one. haven't sourced a goodone yet though. he did give me the 1850 engine to keep me going for a year until insurance company allows it. Terry says the block can be used, it redrilling of the studs, unfortunaty dolly sprint racing regs dont allow this but it can be done. the saab engine is a triumph one without the cockups. Terry however is known for mad conversions, after putting engine from etype in a vitesse. as for gearbox will try nd get more out of hm soon. at moment mating toyota 5 speed to v12 jag, so better not distract him,

Its a good conversion,but i suppose its not quite the beloved wedge. what ever mod you do, don't forget to sort the brakes, so nick them of an unloved wedge, the BL Princess/Ambassador, then throw what remains away, however if you get VDP, save interior as leather covers make any triumph that little bit better.

You'll be enjoying my article (hopefully) in the next Club Torque then... all about TR7 brakes and their distinct lack of stopping power...

I've got the Capri 2.8i set up on my car, which OK for the purist I know it's not Triumph or even BL, but at least the car stops !!  Beats the anchor I used to have to through out the back anyway !!! 

Archived