Ways to tune the Sprint engine ???

Ellis

I have never used silicone brake fluid - if I remember correctly it is described as "not suitable for racing".

If it's not, then I am not happy using it at all.

Then again, if you don't replace normal brake fluid as per servicing schedules that isn't that great either.

Ive always used "normal" fliud changed every other year or before any big adventure,the only trouble Ive had with brakes on events were the rear self adjusters not self adjusting,I also found "green stuff" pads to work well when belting down a hill and up to temperature but no better than standard on eveyday use,they also wear quite quickly-the ones I had on the 10cr where standard and done around 10,000 miles and were fine on the Champagne tour aswell,checked them when I got home still 5,000 miles left on them! maybe I dont use the brakes enough! Must admit I tend to used enginge braking alot when giving it some stick-never mind  sure the instructors at the rally school will tell me how I am meant to slow down!

That's exactly the same as me Andy.... When I did my rally course, the assessment form had one comment - BRAKES !!!!  -  I think that was more due to the fact I'd stuffed there car in a field though, after coming across the finish line a little more sideways than intended. :B

Saab 99 Engine Does it really fit looking at one in a Local Saab dealer can't see how certaintly wouldn't be cheap?.
Turbo sit's above what would be the gearbox in a Dolomite or TR7?.

Carb's and cam's on the Sprint engine,
On the Dolomite Club Forum there's a lot of talk regarding tuning the Sprint engine may be worth a look if you haven't done that allready,

Apart from that how's the TR7 running since the last time I see you at Brookland's.

Phillip
Dolomite Sprint  Powered by Stag V8

Hi Phillip,

:'( It all went pear-shaped on the 10 countries run, we didn't even get out of the country !!! :'(

A cam bucket shattered and wrote off the top end of the engine. I've since sourced a replacement head and camshaft and it's running, albeit a bit clattery as the valve gaps need sorting. ::)  Still, it keeps you busy and out of trouble doesnt it !!!

You certainly got a fair bit of publicity after Brooklands !!!

Ellis

Mr Nutter,

Back to your original question. Now we all know I am no mechanic so please don't be too dismissive of my comments ( I am a shy, retiring person, you know). :)

On a small budget? Well, I think I will offer my thoughts in the manner of a few questions.

1)  I imagine you have an efficient exhaust manifold and system?
2)  Pesumably you have K&Ns or similar fitted to the carbs? They are supposed to be worth a few BHP. Then again, as I understand it a cold air supply to the carbs is a good idea (apparently cold air is more dense and that's a good thing for power) and K&N's don't help in this respect. Is a K&N filter insert in the standard airbox fitted with cold air supply pipes as standard to the front of the car the best? I hope so as this is what I have done! :)
3)  Reducing the power used to drive the fan - that is, fitting a Kenlowe. Is this still true when you have a viscous coupled fan which is suppose to be more efficient than a fixed engine driven one?
4)  Electronic ignition - isn't this supposed to be a "good thing"? Not sure why, something about a more efficient spark I believe.
5)  What about these super-duper ignition leads that cost alot more than normal ones? Aren't they supposed to be worth-while?

There you go - my only thoughts without doing major work like new cams and twin webers.

Archived