Collected my SAH engine today!

sahtuning2000

Well i,ve at long last tracked down a period MK1 engine for my SAH project
the engine was built in the mid to late 80,s and has several Triumphtune,chris witor parts, first quick once over i,ve got the following
mk1 engine complete,alternator conversion,spin on filter,oil feed pipe,electronic ignition,6 2 1 extractor manifold(not the best i know but its period!)inlet has been ported by around 5mm per port,head also matches at 30mm(standard appears to be 25mm)double valve springs throughout,single valve spring caps on all,clutch MIGHT be uprated,its a borg and beck,with orange springs on the plate,with a dab of purple on each spring,not sure about the flywheel if its been lightened,and i got a rebuilt A type box with it,and a mint uprated rad,the carbs have been played with and a very neat heatshield has been fitted
my question is how can i tell what else has been done without upsetting things??The engine ran very well and had a lovely note to it,revved very freely,what else can i do to see what other things might of been done to it
is it worth removing the camshaft core plug?
what is the EXACT height of a standard mk1 head?i can use an electric micrometer from work
the engine has no engine number,its perfectly smooth,NOT removed with an argle grinder!!has it been decked?
So can anyone give me any other advise on what i can do,i really don,t want to remove the head and upset things to be honest,but i,am curious about the valve size,and the cam fitted??

If the is no block number it has either been decked or it's a new (unused) block. What size cylinder head nuts are fitted? If they are 9/16 AF then they are original if 11/16 AF then they have had the Mk II size studs fitted, CW did this as an option for uprated Mk I engines. This was because the Mk I studs tend to fail, blowing the head gaskets.

What carbs & needles are fitted? This might give you a clue as to any changes? I always thought the 2000 Mk I engine was nicer than the 2000 Mk II. The Mk II head is really designed for the 2500 not the 2000.

The early Mk I 2000 engines have a smaller Mains Bearing and therefore rev much better; however the bearings do not last as long.

Just checked,i,ve noticed it has bolts on the outer edge,not nuts,they are not 9/16,a 5/8 fitted nicely,so i guess its got mk2 bolts?also CW has confirmed it has an early 132 bhp cam fitted  25/65, 65/25 ,50 degree overlap,270 degree duration .230 degree lift,never really understood cams,but with the head mods,and the manifold work,it should go well,and look standard!

Never heard of bolts being used; Chris used to sell special shortend studs for the outside row. But I can see why they have been used cost/ease. I'd probably go for the studs when you do a rebuild. It means the block has been tapped for the MkII size (7/16UNF). That cam is also the GT6 & Vitesse MkII cam 104BHP with a 2litre MkII head. A standard 2litre MkI is 90BHP wonder what yours is giving somewhere inbetween?

Have a check with Chris about the Inlet Manifold. I know he had some flowed MkI manifolds. This involved welding in bits as well as grinding out other bits. Chris used to rave about how good they were. It would be interesting to know if you have one of these?

I would go for a 6-3-1, I think he had some done for the Mk1?

the ports are 30mm on the inlet,standard is 25mm,this is one of the flowed inlets chris advertises in the 2000 register mag,i know a 631 is better,but it £400 and requires a cable throttle,i want to keep it period really,so i think i,il stick with the 621 to look a bit more SAH,the head has 30mm ports aswell,again i believe 25mm is standard,i think its going to be a very nice engine,but i don,t think the flywheel is lightened,so thats on my list!,someone told me that orange springs on the clutch plate mean uprated,but i don,t know for sure,but i,am well happy with what i,ve got,its period,not to over the top,and uses older(maybe not so good!)parts to build it up,not sure what the BHP would be when all fited up,maybe 120?

Been working hard on the engine and everything i,ve found has been spot on and in great condition,but i need to get the flywheel lightened,can someone suggest anyone in the Surrey area who can lighten it for me??engine is now all painted,and i have loads of new goodies to fit this weekend,but i,ve got to get this flywheel done!

I'm in Surrey too.

I can recommend Hatto and Gibson Ltd in Redhill for turning and milling operations. Dave King is the main man who is also a Classic car nut, having a 977 Mini Cooper and an MGB.

http://www.hattoandgibson.co.uk/

Dave's direct 'phone number is 01737 780013, tell him I put you on to him - you may even get a discount - don't get your hopes up though.

Glen Price

Cheers Chaps,i know exactly where Jenkins are in Whitton,so i,ve contacted them,spent the day cleaning up and fitting some new parts,when its done i,il post a pic,engines always look nice with new nuts/bolts,makes a huge differance,one thing i will say,it seems that lucas gold sports coils are getting a bit rare!,Moss didn,t have one in stock,so had to get one from Manchester,but no call on friday to say it was at the feltham branch(didn,t think they would!)Got to admit,i hate going to Moss,they are useless,unless you know exactly what you want,i was served by a kid young enough to be my kid,and he ask what Triumph 2000 looked like.madness,pay peanuts and get monkeys i think,i doubt he even ordered the coil,but i,il see on Monday,i asked for a spin on oil filter,he didn,t know what i mean,t so walked of to ask another member of staff,who i clearly heard ask the kid WHAT DOES HE WANT!!!,in a rude tone, i did make a lod comment to ask what his problem was??but he ignored me,Oh well he,s got to look foward to me at his counter on Monday morning wanting to know why i wasn,t rung on friday.

Archived