PI Engine numbers and engine removal methods

Nick Jones

Now for the next engine......

I made some rudimentary supports (though a little more substantial than it looks on the following video), borrowed the starter off the car, attached an oil pressure gauge and spun it over with the plugs out to build up some pressure.  Wasn't getting much joy, so whipped out the gallery plug above the oil pump/relief valve and squirted some oil in there.  Success - 50 psi on starter.

Then I stuck the old Vitesse carbs on with the original PI exhaust manifold and downpipe.  Next trick was to test out the ignition.  Nothing worked initially, but after cleaning and polishing it all, then finally hauling the dizzy out and slinging it over my shoulder in disgust and sticking another one in, we finally had a nice fat spark.

Then another 30mins was spent trying to teach the fuel pump the engine came with to pump again.  It got the idea eventually.

Then to try and start the beast on the garage floor dyno.  It wasn't keen.  Didn't help that who ever had put it in storage had generously oiled the bores.  Obviously this was a very good thing for other reasons though!

It did eventually cough into life, one cylinder at a time (BIG smoke) and after holding it at 1500 rpm for about a minute the smoke cleared and it settled into an pretty decent idle - with 80 psi oil pressure.

The vid shows the second start.  It's on the button now!  Health and safety devotees, do not click play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKzek5Scdp0

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:

The vid shows the second start.  It's on the button now!  Health and safety devotees, do not click play!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKzek5Scdp0

Nick

Nice one Nick, I was impressed how stable it all is - did something similar with a single cylinder diesel once, it hopped all over the place :-/

mike

339 wrote:
Sounds great.  A bit disappointed you haven't EFI'd it yet!!! :P :P

Don't you worry - it will be injected when it goes in the car - carbs and dizzy are simple though - I just hung a hose from the pump suction in a petrol can....... and a wire from the battery to the coil

Ted, I'm sure it'd work just fine - just strap it to a couple of big lumps of wood to stop it getting too frisky.  Actually, the bigger, multi-cylinder engines seem to be more stable.

Nick

Edit:  Just measured cam lift - it's .240, so must be the later 125 bhp 18/58 cam (as predicted by the engine no. amazingly enough)
Also measured compressions @ 165 / 160 / 160 / 155 / 160 / 170 (5 strokes, throttle open, engine warmish).  Not too shabby.

Nick_Jones wrote:

Ted, I'm sure it'd work just fine - just strap it to a couple of big lumps of wood to stop it getting too frisky.  Actually, the bigger, multi-cylinder engines seem to be more stable.

Only joking.

The engine came from the Overfinch Range Rover write off that I acquired and was tuned for max power to be suitable for a Rangie.  
5.7 litre, 330 BHP @ 5000rpm, 350 ft.lbs. of torque @3100 - 3900 revs.
Would be worried about it doing a horizontal pirouette on a floor if I opened it up even if strapped down to a pair of best Forest of Dean oak railway sleepers (whistle)

Think it will fit into the estate engine compartment though ........... 8) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ted

• 2 weeks later...

Been playing engine swap today.  Was a bit nippy.

Propped the car up so that the front valance was 25" off the ground.  A bit higher would have been good but that was the top of my stands.

Dropped front cross-member and dropped the engine and box out together onto an old kitchen worktop.  Was able to tip the engine over so it rested on the mount arm which made it low enough to go under the valence and the kitchen worktop was slippery enough to drag it out.  Reversed the process to refit.

Reasonably straight forward, but such a lot of work 'cause so much has to come off - and it's so damn heavy.  The new lump is bolted back in but that's as far as we got.  Started about 10.30 am (when the ice melted!) with a drivable car and stopped about 6.15pm.  Good few hours re-assembly left..... but at least the heavy bit is done.

Bit weary now!  Oh for a nice big warm workshop and a two post lift!

Nick

• 2 weeks later...

Finished it today.

"New" engine seems ok - it drives well enough - but then so did the old one.  Old one had better oil pressure but alot more blow-by.  I'll use the car for a bit and see how it goes.  Will probably now pull the original lump apart and see what ails it, with a view to sorting it properly and refitting it eventually with the W58 5 speed on the back.

Nick

Archived