PI Engine numbers and engine removal methods

Nick Jones

Have spent this afternoon rounding up a pair of PI engines.  One complete less PI gear and manifolds, one about 2/3 complete.

Complete one has engine no. MG 77XXXE and partially stripped one, MG 22XXXESS, which I think means it's a service exchange one.  It has the late block with extra longitudinal rib.

Anyone know if the MG77..... one is early enough to retain the "real" PI cam?  I'd think the other one is anyone's guess and it's largely irrelevant as the cam is one of the missing parts.

Currently debating whether to take a chance on the complete one and just sling it in.  It's been standing a very long time (in a dry garage) but turns over fine.

Regarding engine swapping, what are the pros and cons of

Engine and box removed as one from the top
Engine and box removed as one from the bottom
Engine only removed from the top (is this even possible)

Car is a Mk 2.  I have no car lift, limited headroom in the garage and a sloping driveway.  Not ideal!  I have been reminded again today just how bloody heavy these engines are  :o

Cheers

Nick

I do the same as Richard. my shed is high enough to lift motor out with a chain block.
Mind you I only do it when absolutely nessessary. They are bloody heavy things. (woot)(woot)
I once took a motor and auto box out this way but as I was stripping the bits from a tired body I wasn't worried about damage.
Tony.

Never taken a 2000 engine out the top with gearbox attached so can't comment, but only guess this would need a bit of room.  As for the other 2 ways, labour wise probably not much in it - if you take out upwards it takes a little while to remove the gearbox, but also takes a while to remove the front crossmember and bleed brakes on reassembly if you drop.

I prefer to drop engine and box.  Don't need as much height, pretty basic lifting arrangement works ok.  Don't have to worry about damaging car and funny angles of withdrawl so possible to do on your own (although I'd recommend having help).  Makes gearbox much easier to line up and bolt together when out of car.  Only thing is dragging the combined unit out from under the raised car.  Luxury would be a strong board with castors and hole for the sump!

If you undo the struts at the back of the hub and undo the calipers and tie to the struts on their flexis you wont need to disconnect any brakes or rebleed. You could also seperate the bottom arms from the subfarme and leave the front suspension in place on both sides.

Colin.

Engine out the top, leave the gearbox behind if it doesn;t need to come out,

Undo the subframe and bounce the front up on the front springs. Allows sump to clear.

Bonnet off obviously.

Did it in the Mk1 last year (or was it the year before)

Need long extensions to do top nuts on bell housing, but you don't need to lift it so high.

Cheers

Colin

I pulled my engine / gearbox out - by dropping it down..  didn't take to long to remove subframe etc...
I reinstalled from the top (as I had already refurbed/mounted the suspension)... engine and gbox already assembled...

I used a crane for both jobs.... I prefer option 1... don't like engines dangling in mid air :-(

When I had to remove an engine with Tim about a year ago we did it upwards but was a right pain because the engine had to be angled so steeply to clear the cross member.  When I have to do this again I will be trying the downwards removal because I am sure it will be easier.

Ted

MikeyB wrote:
that's why you unbolt the crossmember and bounce the springs!  You end up with the car still sitting on its wheels but gain an extra 4 inches or so clearance as the crossmember moves away from the body . . .

I like this one apart from the bit where I have to get at the top bell-housing bolts, access being remarkably poor!  

Andys' will also work if I resign myself to working out doors and the profile of my drive will help give good clearance under the front valence without lifting car especially high.  And I'm not at all jealous of your workshop or the fact you are working outdoors in shorts and T-shirt and probably cursing the heat.....  (ok, I'm lying!).  Looking forward to hearing about the new engine too!

I have taken the engine out of a saloon just once before -  using Peters method - but it was in a scrapyard.

On the cam profile subject, according to Chris Witors information (which I belatedly thought to look up), the change was at MG 75001.........  So it's just a little too late - poo!  (Unless anyone knows different - he says hopefully).  Could whip the rocker cover off and measure the lift I suppose.

Thanks to all for their advice!

Cheers

Nick

Been looking inside the less complete of the two engines today as the bores looked very good and I have a spare early cam.

Initially all was looking very promising with the engine still quite clean inside, pistons in good shape, bearings hardly marked etc

Then I noticed this

which became this

Poo!  Scrap the quick hone, re-ring and re-shell idea on that one then!

Nick

Oddly enough, no  :)

Have seen this happen on small crank 1300s but not on a six until now.  I did know of Jasons though.  This looks to have failed due to a poor regrind leaving a sharp edge on no.1 BE fillet radius.  The crank is a .010/.010 regrind and the engine a factory exchange one.  Dunno if the regrind was a factory one or another done later.

You have mail btw....

Cheers

Nick

Archived