Which Engine? Which gearbox?

gravel

HI,
I have a nice '77 Stag i'm restoring, and almost rust free. It has a Rover 3.5 and a BW65 gearbox. The engine needs replacing or rebuilding and there lies part of my question. Sourcing an original TV8 is near impossible, there rare and hard to find here in Oz and if you do find one they cost a fortune + the rebuild. So seing as my only other option is to install a non original engine Which engine and gear box (manual or Auto) do you suggest or know is a good option.
Thanks..................

I am certain there are a few stags with alternative engines down under. Plenty to choose from. How about a lexus V8, not sure how difficult that would be. Bound to be plenty of ford/holden stuff that is cheap too, just find something suitably sized.

All this assumes it is difficult to find at a economic cost a triumph engine.......

In OZ land you'll probably find the Rover V8 as easy to find as a Triumph 6.  I know there are some down there that have the Leyland P76 V8 and Holden V6/V8 should be able to fit too.
I guess the reason many go for the Rover is due  to conversion parts availability.  

Well a small block ford with modern 4 speed auto fits nicely only issue maybe the EFI manifolding - diff will need work if you hammer it. A friend has a Lexus engined version which still runs a 3.45 diff with quaife centre - it has survived to date.

Ford engine is slightly smaller than a Rover V8 - and with alloy heads (admittedly not exactly stock but def. available) weighs less than TV8 engine.

PLENTY about in late 1990's falcons - and Ford EFI will convert readily to Megasquirt

I almost went that route with my PI estate - a friend had been offered 4000 bucks for his ex-police 302V8 EL Falcon - worked engine with auto - it flew!

6101 wrote:
HI,
I have a nice '77 Stag i'm restoring, and almost rust free. It has a Rover 3.5 and a BW65 gearbox. The engine needs replacing or rebuilding and there lies part of my question. Sourcing an original TV8 is near impossible, there rare and hard to find here in Oz and if you do find one they cost a fortune + the rebuild. So seing as my only other option is to install a non original engine Which engine and gear box (manual or Auto) do you suggest or know is a good option.
Thanks..................

My advice is the same engine that is stareing you in the face, a Rover v8,three factors why-your location/reliability/and you already have one for spares or rebuild.
People run rv8s in ozz and nz,As they say in ozz, when it comes to the jackshaft "NO WORRYS" See you all at Malvern  :P  

Thanks for all the comments........
I think i'm leaning towards the Rover 3.9. I believe there a bit stronger than the 3.5 and here in Oz there's plenty available and fairly cheap to buy, Was quoted $1800 for a reco'ed one.
The drive chain is something to consider also as "Richard "b mentioned. I dont want to drop in a motor with to much HP and have to upgrade everything behind it.
The other Engine im considering also is a Mercedes 3.8 OHC V8 (or the 4.5). There from the same era as my Stag and From the Merc SL series that the Stag was competing against. Hint of irony there hey!! Anyone know if any Stags have a Merc V8 in them?

Cheers

If I was going to put another engine in the Stag I would probably go with either the Triumph 2.5 Straight Six or look to an alternative V8 to the RV8, mainly the Ford Smallblock.  More compact that either the TV8 or RV8, more power from the off, a similar weight to the Stag engine (or in between the two Brit V8s with alloy heads) in addition to plenty of spares etc.  I believe it to be more reliable than both the of the Brit V8s too (although I appreciate the latter can be a subjective matter).

If you were to go with an RV8 however I would go with either a 3.9 or above. They have a few more improvements done to them when compared to their predecessors to make for a stronger engine overall :).

Not a Stag but we put a Lexus V8 into a SE6 Scimitar - bought a complete running car for peanuts, smoked around in it to make sure everything was fine and then transplanted the lot into the SE6. Much cheaper than tuning the Ford V6 or going with a Rover V8.
We kept everything simple - removed all the wiring until just the engine/box ECU remained - just keep removing the other grot and keep checking the old girl still runs and drives. Dave Mac made up the prop and my brother welded up some manifolds.
http://www.bodgerben.com/Scimitar.htm

So a bit thumbs up for the 1UZFE here (I've heard of a few Stags with them - but never seen one).

Can certainly go into P5B - there's one here

http://retrorides.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=readersrides&action=display&thread=112922

Andy T has posted pictures of a 1UZFE in a Stag before......  You've got me wondering (again) why I'm messing around with 6 cyl boat anchors in my PI  :-/

Nick

That is indeed the P5B I was thinking of.  I think I can guess who you are on there ;).

Whilst I don't mind a number of engine conversions there is something about the PI system and the straight 6s for all of the PI's flaws.  Christ, even David Walker from Emerald ECUs stuck with them vaguely (well, he ditched the thottle discs/spindles from the bodies, sealed the bodies up and put a large throttle on the airbox instead (apparently it works quite well, bar not having quite the same noise in addition to needing some more thought than throttle bodies when it comes to making the ECU work with wild cams.

Saying that, KD Triumph seem to have utilised using a throttle position sensor with the stock throttle bodies despite David Walker saying it can't be done...