nang

WOF (your MOT) is due for the Spitty. Don't normally do one this time of year (almost winter here) but thought I'd check her over anyway. Never happy with the handbrake so took rear brakes apart this morning with the thought of extending the handbrake levers a bit.
Removed LHS and found a leaking wheel cylinder. Not really the cause of the handbrake problem though as it was useless when the rear cyl was ok.
Our testing station always treat the Spitfire as a bit of a toy, not a real car, they say hand brake is useless because the car is so light. I don't correct them (never argue with a vehicle inspector) and always get a WOF.
Anyway today I pulled everything off the backing plate to clean as I obviously have to wait for parts.
Guess what...only one wedge on the LHS adjuster. No wonder brakes weren't too flash, only one shoe working. :(
Tony.

No wedge on the bottom adjuster!!!! My god man, that really would have given you no brakes,excess pedal movement and your lucky the cylinder hasn't popped out its bore, the handbrake would have been the least of my worries.  You need new brake shoes now as they will be contaminated.

Chris.

missing brake parts is always never a good thing. I have not driven my car since 96, and in 2 years never had the rear brakes apart for a look, but they worked fine then. I have all new parts ready to rebuild them soon.

anyway, about the handbrake. Way back when I was having trouble getting my handbrake to work. Had it in the shop and the mechanic couldn't even get it tightened up properly due to excessive rust. I have a new cable on hand now too.