mpbarrett

After some advice and suggestions....
Just taken the GT6 out for a blast this afternoon around the lanes and along the A14, its quite hot in cambridge and am amazed at the amount of heat from the engine. Its not overheating but everything does get very hot! Inside its not too bad (have already got the shorts on..) but the gearbox and lever get very hot.
Is there any easy way to get things a bit cooler? I have insulation on the inside of the gearbox cover which is probably reduceing the air flow past the gearbox, I also have the side valences on. The car has a 2500 engine in it.

So is it worth putting a shield between the exhaust and the gearbox (I sure I read about this somewhere recently) to reduce the heat from the exhaust getting to the gearbox.
Is it worth taking the side valence off on the exhaust side, does this help the air flow or make it worse?
Is it worth putting a cowl in front of the radiator, I guess this just helps the radiator cool.
At the moment, as I see it, all the air flow comes through the radiator past the engine around the exhaust  and then under the car and past the gearbox.
Or should I just live with it, its not overheating, and just except its all going to get very hot!

cheers
mike

I usually find it pleasant to drive around in winter with the windows open... but in summer I agree it can be very warm.
Airflow is only of use when the car is moving at speed; stop / starts around town may benefit from some sort of heatshield around the exhaust.
someone is bound to have made one over the years.
Have a look at the Agriemach website for heat shield panels etc but they can be pricey.
http://www.agriemach.com/default.php?cPath=0_7&osCsid=pdu5f5v70gab12nmcifu9lt953

Having a sunroof helps keep it cool by extracting the hot air out of the cabin  :P

Other than that, are you sure you have the heater switched off - the heater valve on the MKIII GT6 works in reverse to the earlier ones, and is about double the price, so it is often replaced with the wrong one, just like mine has been ("hot" is cold and "cold" is hot)

The other option is to wear even less clothes !

Welcome to Club Sauna !

Have the same problem with my mk11 2.5, after about 20 miles or so the transmission tunnel, gearstick get quite hot :o I fitted a rad cowl and removed the thermostat and its getting better.It's a new engine so it might still be a bit tight.I find that when it's fully warmed up the temp gauge reads about 3/4s.I have no engine valences fitted but I defiantly think the rad cowl helps, plus the shorts and the windows and the sunroof ;D

KevinR wrote:
Having a sunroof helps keep it cool by extracting the hot air out of the cabin  :P

Other than that, are you sure you have the heater switched off - the heater valve on the MKIII GT6 works in reverse to the earlier ones, and is about double the price, so it is often replaced with the wrong one, just like mine has been ("hot" is cold and "cold" is hot)

The other option is to wear even less clothes !

Welcome to Club Sauna !

Should have brought that NOS Webasto sun roof kit off ebay.....
Heater is off!
Will take the side valences off and see if that makes a difference and will buy a cowl for the rad.

Towels on the seats and fewer clothes is probably the answer!
Mike

Im no too sure aboot this ..opening of window.. thingy,

as  I had  done this on hot days, and found that all that it did, was too let air oot,

so ..more hot air.. could get in,.. :o :o :o

[ if ye block the rear vents up, shut the windows,  no air can get in as easy, go try  it !!  and see what  i mean ;) ;) ]

try taking the bulk head rubber strip off first, this will let a good deal l off air pressure oot,

frae under the bonnet, so no letting it get ..forced ..into the car

Marcus

[quote=796]Im no too sure aboot this ..opening of window.. thingy,
as  I had  done this on hot days, and found that all that it did, was too let air oot,
so ..more hot air.. could get in,.. :o :o :o
[ if ye block the rear vents up, shut the windows,  no air can get in as easy, go try  it !!  and see what  i mean[/quote]

I thought I was the only one who made that discovery.  I put it down to heatstroke coming on & it couldn't possibly be true, but you noticed it also.

I would suggest insulating the firewall before opening the roof for ventilation.

Roto, ,  as   Churchill Dog would say, ohhh no no no no, !!!  no open the  roof, me Ladd,

as ye will just be making a ..bigger hole..  to ..suck.. more hot air in,  :-/ :-/ :-/

so get even hotter,  :o :o :o :o :o

best to get rid of it, before it gets to  the inside of the car,.

But, open  rear quarter  windows on ..cold days though..  :) :) :)

Marcus

Archived