V8 engine performance mods

steve1365

Now that the car is a runner again at last it's time to take it to bits again...

Current spec alleged by the previous owner (in 1989!)....
3.5 Litre ,Compression ratio 10.5:1 Vitesse pistons, Iskedarian camshaft, Hi rev lifters... recent additions...  lightened flywheel, tubular manifolds, single pipe rally exhaust, Quad webber 40's on JE manifolds.

Rolling road reported 200 ish bhp, about 175bhp at the wheels.

I have to stay at 3.5L for Historic regs and have a limited budget. Obviously I want the most power I can get without breaking the bank. (and I want to have it usable on the road).

Any do's and don't's and advice is very welcome.

Steve

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes I already had a good read on that forum... been talking to quite a few people too and getting quite a bit of info and advice. Seems this wasn't the best place to ask. You'd have thought with all those V8 TR7's out there that there would be a lot of experience on here. Maybe they are worried in case it goes pear-shaped later on!

How are your engine re-development plans coming along?

Engines now away Steve, so ill be calling through to discuss the options with them hopfully this side of xmas:-(
I found that with the V8 there really isnt any set formula re; tuning and a lot of diferent ideas out there, funny thing is with such has my RX7 its easy:-) 450bhp sir;-) bring it in for some bigger injectors and a re-map no prob, i wish the v8 was as easy, suppose its just getting the right advice from the right people n sticking with them,
Steve

Steve, sounds like your engine has already had the kind of improvements that many would dream of!

One thing you don't mention is your ignition set up. Are you still running the old points dizzy or have you something better in there? If the ignition has not received much attention then that would be an area to look at - not only improving the mechanics with maybe Lumenition or Mallory Unilite with appropriate coil, but the advance curve set up as well. You can get different weights for the mechanical advance but I think it is trial & error to see what works best in your particular engine.

Other than that, I don't know that there is a lot you could do while staying at 3.5 capacity & keeping tractability for the road. If you are going to strip it down anyway, you should IMHO get the crank, pistons & rods balanced as an assembly then see what can be done with the heads. None of which will be cheap.

Have fun!

Steve ,

With that Spec I would expect a lot more than 175rwhp. I suggest a thorough check of cylinder compressions, ignition timing , fuel mixture but most importantly, check the cam still has some lobes left on it... higher lift cams in Rover engines can have an awfully short life span....

I'd have too agree.  A car with Mike's spec and a fast road cam will usually have 200+ bhp.  My own track car has a similar specification (standard bottom end) and the rolling road at Mallory Park measured it at almost 250bhp.  Now I know there were comments about that portable road being rather optimistic, but that's still well over 200....

Malcolm.

Quoted from mikehardwick Andy just voiced my thoughts! My 3.5 V8 has just tubular manifolds, twin pipes, electronic ignition, electric fan and a Holley 390. I'm told this set up is good for approx 190 flywheel bhp. I would have expected a bit more from yours?

Mike

Wouldnt a rolling road day be worth organising next year (WITH A MAG FEATURE :)) maybe at S&S preperations ;) If nothing else it would give a good comparison on similar spec engines ??)

I get the impression that some rolling road operators don't have the experience to use them properly.  As I said before, people at Mallory Park were saying that portable was optimisitic.  Then again, are they doing it on purpose?  It certainly put a smile on my face to see big numbers  ;D

I friend of mine recons the whole thing is a con, with performance tuning companies deliberately fudging the results to make themselves look good  :-/

Malcolm.

Yeah it does make you wonder:-) i did ask that question when i was at Well Lane Turbos, there answer was not really? (They would say that) i know in the US its a known fact that the mustang dyno will always read lower then a Dynojet?
I bet theres a lot of trade secrets for hyping the power up????
A rolling road day would give a good comparison though for similar spec engines:-)

Steve

P.S Went to the Elvington track day today & there was a TR7 V8 there:-)

Real steel don't list engine building services or even turn-key engines in their catalogue. They seem to major on the supply of parts for rover v8 and american v8's.... and yes I too have invoices from them!

A plan has developed though and my engine is coming out shortly and I am driving it up to JE Developments. I was aware of course of JED but they have been highly recommended so I'm biting the bullet  (no pun intended).

Steve

There's not much to tell really... the plan basically is to take the engine to JED and then try to keep some control on the budget!

Roughly speaking it's balancing the existing bottom end, a rebore, omega pistons (?)hotter cam and work on the heads. They are predicting 285bhp.

Thing is there are so many potential component upgrades available it might be difficult to resist the odd one or two. I also need to sort out a proper air filter arrangement.

Other bits and pieces are being done to the shell whilst the engine is away. Keep an eye on Crimewatch... that will be me down at the Building Society in the balaclava.

Steve

PS... do you like this?

Talking of rolling roads and bhp figures... they mean very little... there is even a school of thought that reckons setting the mixture on a dyno will result in a lean mixture in real life as it is difficult to predict the effect of 100+ mph air on the inlet tract and under bonnet characteristics...

For a relatively accurate rwhp figure try the 1/4 mile sprint. If you weigh the car and driver and then input either the terminal speed or elapsed time into a simple formula available on the net you will get a HP figure very close to reality.. for that day and weather (atmospheric) conditions...

As they say .. the bullshit stops at the start line...

This is fun then.  So that's 98mph, my best 1/4 mile time at Elvington in the V8 FHC * 0.00426.  Then cubed which makes 0.0728.  Then multiply by gross weight in lbs - 3300 including me and the extra weight of the V8.  Makes 240bhp ;)

There must be scope for another one of James' Minty Lamb automotive utilities here....

Malcolm.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought Steve? did the works cars run with 48DCOE's seeing your getting the works done from John Eales, why not go bigger carbs?= more top end power? Just a thought.
Have a good xmas every one on here, and think of the power to weight ratio when your getting tucked into the turkey sandwich ;)

• 1 month later...

The 5.0 engine should be back from V8 developments next week;-) cant wait. Just a thought? more aimed at Steve with his present engine rebuild in progress? V8D have recomended a baffled sump which i am going for, have you got one on yours Steve or has JE recomended using one? just a thought

Our engines must be "bench mates" as my engine too will be ready next week from John Eales...

I got the results from the dyno yesterday 280bhp @ 6016rpm, remembering that I have elected to stay at 3.5L due to regs...

I also got a breakdown of costs and although it was agreed that a baffled sump was the wat to go there is no mention of it so I will chase that up later today. Also not sure what I'm doing about air filters... love your air boxes, what filter arrangement do you have?

wow :) thats good power Steve, I would think a baffled sump is a must with the use you will be putting TR through?
Will you be posting the power graph Steve?
The air-boxes have 80mm o/s inlets, i was using really fine mesh between the inlet and the induction trunking but with the misap on the rollers j have just got a pair of K&N's (RC3250) They will be going on the ends of the boxes, i might modify them later so they get a better cold air feed?
Flange = 79mm
Top dia = 89mm
Base dia = 127mm
Length = 152mm
Flange length = 19mm

Rated at 260bhp each, 416bhp for x2.

These guys are really helpfull and there prices are OK http://www.filterpower.co.uk/index.htm

Archived