Mysterious Inlet Manifold piece

Tom2000

Part listed as 212935 in this picture:

I'm currently taking all the bits that I have removed from the engine and stripping them clean/renewing bolts/seals/pipes where necerssary so it's already to go when the engine block has been sorted. Only issue is I've just taken the small rubber pipe that was connected onto the small 'T' pipe on this part and it was very badly blocked with thick gunk.. :/ now it's all cleared and been stripped, protected and painted but surely this must have had some effect on the engine?

It's the water pipe from the pump housing to the heater assembly, new ones are about a tenner but also available in stainless steel. As Herald 948 says it may indicate the condition of the other water passages around the engine so a good cleanout and flush is in order. A hosepipe on the end of every visible pipe connection will wash out tons of sediment but definitely make your heater work more efficiently.

Tom,
I think you will find that the side arm that connects to the carburettor warming pipe (via 149699) has only a small drilling into the main, heater pipe.  This is to limit the flow through the carbs when the heater is on and prevent excessive heating of the crabs.  That limited flow tends to allow any gunge carried in the water to drop out of circulation, hence that part of the pipe bungs up.  Check that the hole is still small and accept it as normal!

John

Archived