thescrapman

Very silly question, but......

A mate has a '63 1600 vitesse with a seized engine.

I have a 2 litre engine from a 30k '65 2000 big saloon.

We were about to swap them over when he noticed that that blocks are different, no where to bolt the engine mounts. :-(

Can it be done??

The 2000 engine is a cracker, and would be perfect for his Vitesse.

If it can't, does anyone want to do a swap???

Cheers

Colin

Colin,
The blocks are the same.
It's the front mount plate, aka front engine plate, that's different.

You can unbolt the mounts from the side of the 1600 and bolt them onto the 2000's block.  The holes may even be already threaded!
You can fit the 1600's front plate to the 2000, or just take a hacksaw to that.

Some other mods may be needed.
The step in the 2000's sump may be too far forward to clear the chassis cross member. Fit the 1600 sump to the 2000.
And of course, you need to fit the rear engine plate for the bell housing to fit.

What will you use for carburation?  The 2000 engine waa canted 7 degrees to the driver's right.    The inlet manifold is made to compensate and mount the carbs dead level.  In the Vitesse, the same manifold will tilt the carbs slightly upwards.  This may not be a problem for running, but the bonnet will foul the front dashpot.  Your 1600 manifold will NOT fit the 2000!

There may be some other differences, that the gurus will tell you of.

Good luck!

John

The 1600 manifold should bolt straight on to a Mk1 2000, not that I'd actually recommend sticking with the original Solex downdraught carbs as part of a 2-litre upgrade! I don't know about the linkages, but the 2000s CD150s would go onto a late 1600s Stromberg manifold.
Is that 2000 engine early enough to have the small bearing crank? Reputedly the best of the bunch if it does.
Cheers,
Bill.

[quote by=KDTRIUMPH link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1163281810,s=4 date=1163285122]also be aware that early MK1 2000 engines had a long boss crank . i found this some years ago when doing a quick engine swap on a friends car to find the fly wheel was 3/4 inch too far back off the backplate to fit into a vitesse bellhousing. oops.
[/quote]Fortunately, I never had to learn this. Unfortunately, the friend to whom I sold my 2000 sedan and a 'replacement' GT6 'Mk1' engine DID find this out! He worked it out with some clever parts swapping and a bit of simple machining!

[quote by=JohnD link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1163281810,s=2 date=1163283140]Colin,
The blocks are the same.
[/quote]

There lies the problem.

The blocks are different.

It is definately the original engine for the 2000, it is MB28xxx and is only 5 away from the chassis number. Have had a thought that it could be a Vanguard engine. Did Triumph use 2 different blocks at the same time???

If it does have a long crank, is it a case of machining out the 1600 vitesse flywheel??

We were going to use the Vitese 1600 manifolds and stromberg carbs as the saloon ones are in my RBRR car now.

We do have one other option which is to take the engine out of the RBRR car, and put this one in it, so the slightly later ('68) engine from the RBRR car can go into the Vitesse. Lots of hard work!!!

Cheers

Colin

Colin,
WOW!
Thank you for extending my education!
I presume that the engine is otherwise 'Triumph-shaped', and not some alien import?
I'm glad I qualified my remarks by deferring to the Gurus, or this egg on my face would have been custard.
Please post some more pics with a wider view of the engine to help with future ID.

John the Beginner

Interesting that Std/Tri would make an engine with such a different mounting system for the first big saloons?
I have had a look at the 'Robson' book on the big saloon> This shows a pic. (Page 34)of the Vanguard Six engine which seems to have a similar mount to the Vitesse/GT6 type, the major difference being that it points downwards.
It also has a weird  header tank built into the top of the water pump housing and runs a engine fan on the end of the water pump- like the 4 pot lump. It also has a strange looking crankshaft pulley- this has a massive lip to stop the belt being thrown.

I have copies of the first, second and third editions of the 2000 Mk1 parts list. There are five different numbers shown for the Mk1 2000 block, but mysteriously the first number is shown only in the first edition list, and isn't ever acknowledged in the later lists. There is no cross reference shown to this part being used in other vehicles.

512828   - 1st edition only, no reference in later editions - No cross reference shown
509742   2nd edition and later - to engine number MB33532E - manual transmission (all engines in 2nd edition) - common to Vanguard VI
515353   3rd edition - from MB33533E onwards - manual transmission - No cross reference shown
515351   3rd edition - to engine number MB33408E - automatic transmission (not shown in 2nd edition) - No cross reference shown
515352   3rd edition - from MB33409E onwards - automatic transmission - No cross reference shown

The change points relate to the introduction of the large bearing crank, the earlier engines using the same bearings as the 803, 948 and 1596cc engines.
Cheers,
Bill.

If its any help, I have got a good ML series engine out of a Mk2 saloon, and its not rusty as old harry like the one in the photos ! You can have it for nowt if you want to collect it.

Have also got a Vitesse MK1 engine too, but its still in the car and access would be a BIG problem !

Archived