Engine removal and re-fitting

mowerman

Having removed the engine from my vitesse seperate from the gearbox, a leaking seal on the box now means that has to come out as well :( Is it easier to refit the engine attached to the gearbox or seperately?  The bonnet is still on the car by the way. Thanks.

From experience, unless your bonnet fit is crappy anyway, try and avoid taking that off - I know it would make engine in/out really easy but it is a pain to get the gaps right again afterwards, especially if your help evaporates and you're left on your own!

Why should taking the bonnet off mess up the gaps?  You don't have to disturb the adjustment - just remove the pivot bolts.  So it goes back where it came off.  Would always take the bonnet off for engine removal myself and probably remove/refit as a unit with the gearbox.  I don't enjoy reaching all those bell housing bolts!  It is possible to remove and refit a Vitesse bonnet on your own but is much easier with an assistant and better for the paint as well.

Would be a bit tight to get the engine and box back in together with the bonnet on I should think

Nick

Archived