Dolly 1850 engine & box into Herald ?

ginger948cc

Is this possible?
Is it  worth doing?

I don't  need to do it ,but there is one going cheap and it sounds O.K. Is it worth getting as a spare, or is it better to wait and get a 2ltr 6 pot?

Any comments would be welcome;--Many thanks,

Dave,

Stick with the 1300cc lump you have in your car, just stick a o/d box on!

The 1850 Dolly engine is totally different and would not be an easy change, the biggest problem is the exhaust manifold and the NSF suspension turret- not alot of clearance. The engine is not as advanced as more modern twin cam units- Rover 'K' series or Ford Duratec come to mind- and are possibly easier to do

As for lobbing a Triumph six pot engine in, why bother, sell the car and get a Vitesse- preferably a mk.2.
Six cylinder conversions involve engine, gearbox, prop, cooling system, diff, front and rear suspension changes and the fitting of Vitesse or GT6 brakes- all bolt in work but lots of aggro finding the parts.

I'd advise caution of installing 6 cylinders - make sure you drive one first to see what it's like.

It changes a car quite drastically to have all that extra weight up front... of course it's fun to have the extra power... but it does change the handling...

James,

The six pot engine is not a boat anchor! Every time someone suggests putting in a six pot engine into their four cylinder car, along you come with 'It will change the handling blah, blah ,blah'!
Well two obvious things come to mind a) not much point having handling if no power is avail. and b) what about the noise, 4,500 - 5,000 and onwards its  pure music to the lugs!

A Spit or a Herald are nice cars except they do sound a tadge anaemic- wheras a GT6, Vitesse, Big Saloon, TR5 or 6 sound bloody gorgeous!

Sod the handling whatabout the noise!

Tim - I am just suggesting they should drive one! I have driven quite a few different cars now and I love my Spitfire for it's chuckability. I desire a 6 pot for the power and noise - but not in my Spitfire-thank-you-very-much as I think it would essentially change what the Spitfire is to me. It depends how you use the car - driving around town or country lanes nothing beats the 1300... if you're in to long distance stuff then the 6 pot rules. Any speed up to about 60-70 a Spitfire can go quicker or keep up with a 6 pot. I think the difference in feel is significant -and something to be aware of - that's all.

As for noises and anaemicasity (made up!) - those darn twin exhausts on a Spitfire are half to blame - they only work on a 6 pot IMHO. The standard systems on the roundtails make a very nice noise - esp when parping along at 6k all day... we'll have to see how my new one sounds :) it's going to be special...

Chris - your Spitfire isnt a Spitfire in that respect :P

What about the 1500? If the 6 is too much, but you want more "pull" ie torque, the 1500 is the way to go. OK it will not rev as high as a 1300, and to be honest there is VERY little difference between the small and large bearing 1300 lumps, more to do with condition/set up etc than anything else. Whereas if you drive a 1500 it seems to go so much better, and it can use a longer ratio diff. Have overdrive popped in and it transforms the car. A bit heavier than the 1300 and non o/d box, and the rad needs to be good, but I reckon the best compromise.
1300 fine for racing, but most of us just do not drive at 6000+rpm!
So theres my opinion (having said that I have a 2.5 vitesse, I just love the torque, and a 13/60 estate, but thats a workhorse, and I refuse to swap an engine in a £50 car!)
Cheers
Clive

Oh, but about the 1850 lump. If you want to go there use a sprint lump. They fly, are economical (when I put one in my spit years ago it did 35+mpg at a steady 85 mph). BUT it is a pig to get in, lots of fiddling about, so ONLY if you really want to/need to!
clive

Thanks all. It's been an interesting thread. I've decided to stay with my trusty 1300 spit mk iv lump at present as it' s getting me around very efficiently.

The problem is that one sees items on Ebay and  are convinced that  we need them. (this reminds me of a thread which used to run a while back, but I guess people have been having successful therapy)

I'm convinced that you are on a commission with this over drive business.  Consuela cruised down to the Gatwick meeting last night with the 4 speed, and would have happily made the Med. for lunch today!

Missed you at the meeting,Tim. Heard you have exhaust problems;-- Sorry, I'll rephrase that;- your car has problems with the new exhaust.Hope you get it sorted.This is for the 2000/2500 section though.

Archived