Free herald engine,  but be quick

heraldhabitat

Hi Everyone

Please make contact with John direct at tucker_1958@hotmail.com
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

>Subject: engine
>Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 09:25:50 +0000
>
>Sir
>I am having a cellar clear out and will have to get rid of the
>Triumph Herald engine that has been lying in a corner for years. I
>know nothing about it other than it is a herald engine with gear
>box. In a week on saturday I shall have to dispose of it. Is there
>anyone in your club who may be interested?
>Free to the first taker - only they will have to collect it.
>I live in shipley - just outside bradford in west yorks.
>John Tucker

Regards
Chris Allen
Club Triumph Enquiries
Club Triumph Herald Consultant
West Midland Area Organiser C.T

I've now got the engine and gearbox. The engine is a basic block and head with rocker cover. The only ancillaries it has are the manifolds and the fuel pump. The engine number is GA213408HE so you Herald gurus should be able to decode that. I've tried turning it but it won't budge. I think it's just seized through lack of use (ie - standing for a long time). I'll take the spark plugs out and give the bores a good soak in WD40/Double T. That should free them. The gear box is the 3 rail affair and the number is CB223858. I've engaged all the gear postitions and it seems to work. I don't know what the synchos are like. There's only one way to find out apart from pulling the gearbox apart!

If anyone's interested please get in touch with me. I'm not stuck for space so there's no rush. This stuff's not going anywhere and hopefully it might leave me in slightly better condition than when I first got it!

Here's a pic of the engine...

• 2 weeks later...

I think that I'll need to strip this engine if I'm to free the pistons. Probably good for a rebuild. Won't know until it has been stripped. (If I ever get time!) The gearbox seems to work. I've engaged all the gears and it turns without any apparent problems. Top it up with gearbox oil (got a bit left somewhere) and I think it will probably be fine.

If anyone wants this stuff just turn up (by prior arrangement of course) and take it away.

I've found a new home for the gearbox.

I was trawling the TSSC website (gotta keep an eye on the "enemy"! ;D) and I was on the West Yorkshire TSSC site when I saw an advert wanting a Herald 1200 gearbox so I rang the bloke up and he said he would take the gearbox off my hands. A result! I'm pleased to see that my efforts were not in vain. It also turns out that this guy knows Quentin through the West Yorkshire TSSC meeting. I'm hoping to attend the next one myself.

Sorry for rambling on about the "other" club but I thought I'd update you on the fate of the engine and gearbox.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the guy (I'll call him Martin) at this month's West Yorkshire TSSC meeting and he told me that the gearbox is fine. He just put some fresh oil in it and worked perfectly. I'm glad to see it keeping another Triumph on the road.

Still no further with the engine. I'll keep on putting Double T down the bores...

• 2 weeks later...

Archived