Need help identifying engine

1967 MkIII

Hi All,

My Spitfire Mk3 has a 1500cc engine fitted. Problem is I don't know from which model or era it is. The engine number is... misleading.

Since I need to order some parts this is proving problematic. Parts catalogues refer to an early or late 1500. How can I tell the difference? Which parts are definitely one or the other?

Main parts I need to order are timing chain & fuel pump, the rest are basic like seals gaskets etc.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks
S teve

No significant differences internally and many have already been "mixed and matched" anyway.

- Timing chain is the same for all.
- Fuel pump comes in a couple of forms which boil down to "long lever with spacer" and "short lever without spacer".  Should be obvious which is fitted and they are interchangeable provided the spacer is added/removed to match.

Gaskets are mostly the same.  One possible exception is the head gasket.  Recessed blocks (later) have gaskets with a tab sticking out at the back which should be visible externally.  Non-recessed don't.  1500 is much more likely to be recessed.

Nick

Nick_Jones wrote:
No significant differences internally and many have already been "mixed and matched" anyway.

- Timing chain is the same for all.
- Fuel pump comes in a couple of forms which boil down to "long lever with spacer" and "short lever without spacer".  Should be obvious which is fitted and they are interchangeable provided the spacer is added/removed to match.

Gaskets are mostly the same.  One possible exception is the head gasket.  Recessed blocks (later) have gaskets with a tab sticking out at the back which should be visible externally.  Non-recessed don't.  1500 is much more likely to be recessed.

Nick

Thanks Nick, is the spacer external or internal?