Nick Jones

Now I have started driving the red beast I need to address it's rather odd road manners.  It needs a 4 wheel alignment and this will be done now it can actually drag itself to to the workshop.

However, on checking the tyre pressures this evening they were all between 36 and 40 psi (!!) just as the tyre fitter left them.... oops  :B.  So that probably isn't helping.

Book says 26 front 30 rear for 185/80 x 13.  I'm running 185/65 x 15 so no reason why the book figure should be right.

I've lowered them to 30 front, 32 rear as a first shot, but curious to know what others find effective.

Cheers

Nick

Nick, its trial and error,  best look to what other cars of similar weight / tyres are running and go from there.
But, that means nothing really, as its what suits you, and the tyres.

if they not wearing away at higher pressures , then I would stop up there, but  40 seems high for road use. im on 15,s and run 36  36 with even wear for normal road use.
cos you still on a fairly high side wall, the lower pressuers will allow the tyre to go on to the side walls on cornering.

I know it's trial and error - was hoping to tap into others experiences with the same vehicle rather than starting from scratch.

Surprised you can get away with 36 psi on the GT6 - Vitesse is like a supermarket trolley on ice if I go over 30 psi (175/70 x 13).

Cheers
Nick

jcarruthers wrote:
Nick— please go ahead and retrofit PAS with an electric pump ;) Then I can copy you, yet again ;)

Hum.  Was thinking about an electric column but not sure the rather odd layout of the saloon column/dash is suited without major aggro.  The electric pump solution is an alternative I suppose.  They do have a few subleties though (like torque/angle sensors on the column to start and stop the pumps and high ampage alternators.  Will probably just try a quicker rack first....

Letting the tyres down has definitely helped grip and reduced skittishness.  Might go a bit lower yet - seems to be opinion in that direction - James carefully didn't say I noticed  :P.   Must sort the tracking.... though if I'm going to do the rack I should do that first  :-/

Cheers

Nick

just been looking at the mk3 GT6 handbook. For pre 1973 tyre pressure are

front 24 rear 28
post 1973 (ie swing spring)
front 30 rear 26
and it makes a mention about the fact that the pressures are reversed so is not a mistake.
Will have to try changing mine to see what difference it makes.... at the moment the front  > rear...

mike

Archived