Wheel bearing query

salford

I've had the start of what I thought was a grumbling wheel bearing for about 50 miles now.

I've ordered a new bearing and was going to attempt the job at the weekend.  However, I put the car on axle stands last night and had my mechanic-neighbour have a look.  The wheel that is grumbling is not spinning ad freely as its opposite number and generally, it feels tighter.

I rebuilt the rear suspension a few weeks ago and although the hub nut was torqued up as per the manual (115 ft lbs) my neighbour suggested slackening off the nut a smidgeon, as he felt that it might be done up too tightly.

I'd be grateful of some ideas as to weather it is likely that these symptoms would occur if it has been over tightened, or if I'm being too hopeful and should get on and change the bearing.

Cheers,

Steve

It sounds like it has been over-tightened and may have damaged the bearing. You may get away with re-doing the bearing. They should be tightened until there is no play then backed off to the first possible point to 'get the pin in' the castellated nut. Over-tightening can cause bearing grumble and possible damage. ::)

Neil

Archived