Spit MK3 Body tub any hope finding one ?

dimtavies

I have been off the scene for some time mainly due to having brain cancer, I now am finding myself in better shape, with some time on my hands (hopefully) and was gearing up to building a convertible GT6 mainly with, and for my son now he has passed his driving test, from leftover parts from my Mark 2 GT6 restoration, some time ago.

I thought I had a body tub, which didn't need a complete new bottom, apart from some localised floor work and spraying, having left a deposit on one, although time had passed due mainly to illness, after now making contact with the seller I have been informed he has sold it on although he neglected to attempt to make contact with me, which is annoying because friends would have taken care of it for me, although he will refund my deposit.

Needless to say this leaves me feeling somewhat crushed, demoralised. a similar thing happened when I lived up north about 15 years ago, after ringing and making an appointment to see a mk3 tub some years ago at a well known Triumph breakers, only to drive across two counties to see it being sold to someone else as I arrived  :-/.

The shell was the key part and don't have the time, facilities or gear to take on a basket case shell, having been out of circulation for some time, is there much likelihood of turning up a half decent MK3 or earlier shell up that is useable these days, my feeling now is just to junk what I have, I still have my Mark 2 GT6 which I cant drive at the moment after having to surrender my driving licence for medical reasons, though I expect to get it back in April  :)

Hi, and welcome back to the scene,

Wish you all the best with your health.

As for the tub, there are some out there, it's just as and when they come up for sale, the earlier ones are rarer, and will probably command more money.
The ones that are for sale will probably need work, another thing you could do, buy a half decent one, then get someone to restore that for you, a friendly mechanic in his spare time, or a retired one etc etc, to keep costs down.
There was a mark 3 for sale on here the other day (in the column to the right)
I have just restored my friends mk2 tub, was not completely rotten, but still needed lots of work. (See my thread)
Soon I hope to start work on the mk3, most people say scrap it and get another, but I personally enjoy working on them, plus I know to what standard the work is done, you never know how much filler is on one that you buy.

And don't forget pictures, we all like pictures.
Cheers
Shaun

Hi Shaun

Thanks, I realise there are quite a few colander cases out there, the problem is I have to be realistic and time just may be a luxury I dont have lots of. I just want a shell thats near useable, the one I thought I had needed some floor work, my GT6 had to have a new bottom and I paid to have it done properly but even that took some time.

I was hoping to have had it built by now, the revised plan was at least a rolling shell

• 2 weeks later...

michael_charlton wrote:
I was at the Graveyard last week and he had a reasonable one over there
MK3`s rare as hens teeth

Thanks for the tip after some time the shell they had was a success, it is an American import with original sills, boot floor, and floor pans, apart from a very bodgy repair to the rear pans on both sides, luckily I have spare rear pans left from a previous project.

The shell I had thought I had bought before from someone else, did have a lot of internal parts in it, this is just a bare shell, without a windscreen frame, so will need a lot of hunting for bits but the underneath condition is amazing, and having been badly let down by some one it has lifted my enthusiasm tremendously.

I just have to figure how to move it down from Selby as cheap as possible, and start making a list of bits I need for the chassis build.

Thanks again a great help

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update, the Mk3 shell I got is moving nearer to me gradually from Sheffield, I thought I would post a picture of it, very very bare, but all original being from a dry climate, colour scheme is a bit off but my plan is hopefully to have it Valencia Blue (my favourite) Lots of bits to find, lots of money to find for the lots of bits to find as well.