Door Lock Problem

Spitfire1500

Dear All,

On the day I picked up my new Spitfire, I managed to break the door lock.

I pulled on the interior door handle and the door didn't move so I pulled it a bit more then I heard something break and now the internal door lock handle is wobbling all over the place.

Although the door does shut, I can't lock it from the internal door lock or the external key hole, so I've definitely broken something.

Any ideas what it might be? I'm going to be ordering a few bits so I can start getting the Car in better shape.

Kind Regards,

David

first thing to do is to prize-off the door-card in the top-rear corner and have a look at the latch mechanism.  There are two control rods that join the internal door handle to the latch.  If you're lucky all you've done is ping one or both of these control rods off the latch mechanism - they can be simply clipped back in place.  If you are unsure which rod goes where, compare them with the other door.

If the rods are still in place, however, then it is time to investigate further.  
Still looking at the rods, one should move when you operate the internal door handle, the other should move when you operate the internal lock.  If one or other doesn't move, then you've broken the handle assembly.
If the rods are moving, then the problem is with the latch or exterior handle.  

By the way, if the door cannot be opened from inside the car, it is an MOT failure.

Cheers for your help there Bodders,

I'll have a look tomorrow morning - I'll be doing my Carb tuning as well whilst I'm at it. I am prioritising the lock because of the MoT Failure possibility (even though I have until April 2012) - I don't want to order a new internal door lock assembly if it's something else! Plus it's a bit of a nuisance winding the window down to let myself out! Also, the poorly aligned doors didn't help!

I need to re-do the seats, door adjustment and the door card fastenings plus anything I have broken - so I will probably make a few Orders for these bits.

I'll see how it goes!

Kind regards,

David

Archived