Door check straps

Nick Jones

I have daft questions about door check straps.  Are they actually supposed have any effect on the maximum door opening?  Mine don't and the doors will open to the point where the skins touch the trailing edge of the wing - which is a bad thing  :(

As mine have both been recently replaced I'm not sure whether this is how they are (not really "check" straps at all), or whether I've put them in wrong, which begs the question of how else would I do it?!

If the check straps don't limit the door travel then what is supposed to do the job?  I've seen previous comment that it's part of the hinge but can't see anything that looks like it's meant for that purpose.

TIA

Nick

Nick,

The check straps just slow down the door swing. The maximum opening should be controlled by a tab on the hinge. Look at the picture for item 706883 on here.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID008750

I have a broken strap (actually a worn hole in the door) on my estate and the drivers door opens to almost 90 degrees, but stops a mm or two from the front wing with the tab.

Russell.

Hi Nick

The check straps only help the door stay open, the stop is on the bottom hinge itself. Mine touched the wing after removal and refitting I evntually sorted it with washers between the hinge and door.

Try adjustment and check the stop hasn't broken off your bottomn hinges

Cheers

Dazzer

Colin,

The check strap thingys are complete.  I also have some busted ones for comparison.

Dazzer,

Thanks for that hinge pic, I'm now much clearer on what I'm looking for.  I think maybe Mr Mig may be able to help...... last resort though - will check other options first.
Not best design really, those tabs on the hinge have alot to do...!

Nick

Archived