Fibreglass Hardtop Rear Window

Bainzy

Does anyone know if the perspex rear windows in any of the fibreglass hardtops for the later Spitfires would fit inside a steel hardtop? Thinking about ways to keep weight down a bit since glass is heavy, and it wouldn't be that straightforward to DIY one as it's not a perfectly flat piece of glass.

I plan on making the quarterlights and door drop glass out of polycarbonate, which shouldn't be too hard as they're flat panes.

I don't unfortunately, but have you thought of getting a complete fibreglass hardtop? They save about 10kg, and it's right at the top of the car.

What other ideas have you had? I've done a good deal of thinking about ways to lighten my Spit6 project, and any new ideas are very welcome :)

I have thought about it, but haven't seen one yet that looks original and has just as nice an interior as the steel variant. Plus I'm convinced most of the saving in weight with them is from the glass, not the panel....

Other ideas include remaking the 1500 centre armrest in aluminium as the metal underneath it is steel - minimal saving though. Going for ducted brakes instead of putting heavy unsprung GT6 (or worse, Princess, Capri) front disc components on.