Reskinning Doors. Advice please

John Bonnett

This is relating to my aluminium body that I am building.

One option is to use the original door shells and re-skin in aluminium rather than build a complete new door.

Will the door go out of shape once the old skin is removed? Would it be better to attach the frame to a a jig before removing the doorskin?

I'd be pleased to hear from anyone who has experience with this job.

Thank you

John

Not done GT6/Spit.  However, on Herald/Vitesse the door frame is fairly floppy without the skin fitted.  The factory-fit skins are also brazed to the frames at 3 or 4 points.  My own experiences have shown that without these brazed/welded points the door will go out of shape when slammed against fresh new door rubbers, leading to the lower trailing edge standing proud of the rear wing.  To an extent this will depend on how tightly you've folded the skin over the frame but my technique now is to fit the newly skinned door, twist to shape as required and tack at the corners and swage lines to fix it in place.

Not so easy with a mixed metals door......  There are some pretty good panel adhesives around used to stick modern cars together, but don't know if the curing time would be long enough to allow you fit the skin, trial fit the door and tweak as needed......

Door skin is not the heavy part of the door anyway.

Nick

Thank you for your thoughts Nick. The Spitfire door is considerably smaller than a Herald so it may be a bit more rigid. However, if there were any risk of it going out of shape after the steel skin had been removed I would weld the door to a rigid frame first of all which should keep everything as it should be. I'll bond the aluminium skin to the steel door using panel adhesive  all the way round before tightening the folds and not only should this stop any relative movement between panel and door it should hopefully be a barrier to prevent corrosion between the steel and aluminium.

There's a long way to go before addressing the doors but it's good to have a plan.

John