wheel cylinder circlips special tool

DougBGT6

Quoted Text
How to fit wheel cylinder circlips with a special tool which is brilliant 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJdQWljw0I

Don't buy the tool from Moss at £30, buy it from Mini Mine in Stoke on Trent for £9.50

http://www.minimine.co.uk/tooling/82-tool-rear-brake-cylinder-retaining-clip.html

I had to cut the bolt down to get clearance to the trailing arm on my 2000 but it did the job a treat

I've never needed anything like that when changing slave cylinders, just brute force! Is there something different on a 2000?

Quoted from Raider
How to fit wheel cylinder circlips with a special tool which is brilliant 🙂

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhJdQWljw0I

Don't buy the tool from Moss at £30, buy it from Mini Mine in Stoke on Trent for £9.50

http://www.minimine.co.uk/tooling/82-tool-rear-brake-cylinder-retaining-clip.html

I had to cut the bolt down to get clearance to the trailing arm on my 2000 but it did the job a treat

Being a tool addict I checked and found that Minimime also sell on eBay £9.95 delivered compared to £9.50 + £4.50 P & P from their website.

Quoted from DougBGT6

I've never needed anything like that when changing slave cylinders, just brute force! Is there something different on a 2000?

No, but just to be clear. I am sure it's just a slip Doug but it's not the slave cylinder but rear brake wheel cylinder I am talking about.

On this though it's no doubt my incompetence but I couldn't get the circlip on, either sliding it in, bashing it over, levering it, using g clamps or mole grips to hold the wheel cylinder etc etc etc. I only spent, oh 3 hours or so and got really p****d off

Less than £10 and it was easy peasy

Quoted from vitessesteve

Being a tool addict I checked and found that Minimime also sell on eBay £9.95 delivered compared to £9.50 + £4.50 P & P from their website.

Even cheaper if you pop in which obviously isn't viable for many but as I work in Stoke through the week was fine for me.

The tool and 2 spare circlips just in case I screwed up cost me £9

Quoted from AlanChatterton
I have never struggled with these. I put one side on, then flip it over with a screwdriver, then tap home. Takes 20 seconds. Never seen a tool for it, or needed one!!

I would need to see someone do this, hence my Youtube search.

My brother told me the same thing or variation of but I couldn't hold/lodge one side in - the circlip kept falling off before I could get to the other side with said screwdriver 😲

No I didn't take the backplate off, it was still in situ.

Regarding the "cylinder". Happy to stand corrected but both Chris Witor and Rimmer Brothers call it a wheel cylinder

So do L D Parts and for a bit of variety Mini Sport.

I did search slave cylinder on Chris Witor's website and got clutch slave cylinder.

The brake and clutch master cylinders are at the front on the bulkhead, everything else, every cylinder, is a slave, including the servo and wheel cylinders. wheel cylinders may well be described as such but the masters, slave concept is still correct.

I'm not being pedantic, just surprised you didn't know. I suppose it's just political correctness. Masters and slaves, not quite right to say that any more.

When I was an apprentice there was a particular file for use on wood and metal. It was called a bastard file, never hear of them these days, it's probably a universal file now.

When I worked for the bank a woman asked me why the computer cables were male and female. I showed her how the male connector fitted in the female connector. 20 minutes later I was in personnel with only a Radio Spares catalogue to defend myself. They let me off but I was told to keep the dark secrets of computer network cabling to myself in the future. I wonder what they call them now?

A wheel cylinder has been a wheel cylinder since the dawn of time, it's nothing to do with being pc, that's what they've always been called as far as I'm aware! I don't think I have ever heard anyone refer to a drum brake cylinder as a slave, cylinder, ever. .....and a bastard file is still that, never been given a PC name- you can have a flat bastard, a half round bastard, etc, but all have the same cut: any tool vendor will know exactly what you want as the term is still in common usage, there's no other name for that cut.

Hello Doug,

you are correct but as far as brakes go I don't know anyone who doesn't call them wheel cylinders. Try asking in your local motor factors for a wheel slave cylinder, and I wager he'll say do you mean a wheel cylinder? It's not just the vernacular, Triumph describe them as wheel cylinder assembly in the parts book.

Alec

Alec,

At least you're not being aggressive! I don't understand why people on here are getting so aerated about it. Wheel cylinder, slave cylinder it's the same thing. I only persisted with it as Raider appeared unaware that it could be called that. I recall getting the same amount of confrontation when I asked for advice about repairing my servo. The number of people with no advice, who just had to tell me  "You don't need a servo!". It is an unpleasant trait on here.