Clip-on quarterlight mirrors

A TR7 16V

Motorway verges are littered with them !
If you can keep them on the car they serve a purpose, but they are normally plane glass.  Ideally, you want convex glass for better field of view.  Outlay isn't great and you could give one a try without any modification.

IMHO the rectangular Spitfire style door mirrors suit the lines of a 13/60.  Again, Convex glass.  AND you need to make sure the quarter-light can open.  Positioning is a little difficult.  

C.

Wondering if the Mountney ones might be more reliable in fixing - the clamp looks more substantial. Don't think there a convex mirror though. Has anyone tried one of those?

As for drilling holes in the car to make it look like some Mods scooter, I'd have to be off me Rocker!

Graham

Quoted from herald948
I'd like to see exactly how those clip-on mirrors are fitted; the photos in the auction listing are of no help.

That would be good to see.

Assuming the Mountney ones are better enough to be worth trying, I still have to decide between squarish and round and, if round, between 3 and 4 inch.

Graham

I had the same request from my Mrs. and admit that I found the drivers side one useful too. I used these on both sides of my Coombes Mk2 Jaguar, and they stayed in place on track days too.

http://www.europaspares.com/qu.....ight-flange-270.html

They also have a similar (cheaper) round peeper version and also a rain gutter version if you look around the site.

Johnny.

The one Johnny points to seems to be the Mountney rectangular one (CDM. So if they stay on, that's worth knowing.

These are Mountney ones are available on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLAS.....?hash=item33a6b17461, as are the 3" round ones from the same supplier. Can't see the 4" ones marked as Mountney, but I think they're there.

Interestingly, the Mountney website says the rectangular ones (and most others) are flat, but doesn't say that for the round ones (CDM3 and CDM4). I've asked if these are convex and await a reply.

Graham

got one on the bench in the garage, took half hour to fit made a wee brass plate thin soft rubber to protect paint work fitted perfect seemed right tight closed the door and it fell off, gave it another couple of tries same stunning effect, that was on the 13/60 on the 1200 i fitted one 11yrs ago and its still there a great wee mirror never had any trouble with it, it has the brass plate and rubber fitted to it as well

These clip on mirrors are reliable and will only come off if they are either not fitted correctly or the bolts are allowed to work loose. I have a friend who has one on his Triumph 1300 FWD and I asked him when he fitted it. 1979 was when and it's been all over the UK with that car.

Peter Crow has round versions fitted on his Vitesse at the lower part of the quarterlight in Lieu of fixed mirrors, and they look good. So good IMO that I am in fact going to copy his idea for my car as I don't want to drill into my bodywork.

Quoted from Stu 1986
These clip on mirrors are reliable and will only come off if they are either not fitted correctly or the bolts are allowed to work loose.  

I’m on my second one; the first wasn’t fitted properly and fell off en route to MOT; the second has stayed put for over ten years. It took me a while to work out the correct way of fitting them, and once I got that, they stayed on.