J-Type overdrive springs

TimW

I've read that the TR6 has 8 clutch springs in the overdrive but the 2.0L saloon only had 4 springs. The 2.5pi had 8 springs. I've got a j-type saloon box to put in the GT6. Is there any way of telling if I have a 4 or 8 spring J-type overdrive without pulling it apart?

9 hours ago, Nick Jones said:

I though that spring thing applied to A-type rather than J-type? Could be both….

Nick

It was Just based on some research I've been doing on the TR forums Nick. If it only applies to A-type then I need not worry I guess

They all have variations in hydraulic pressure according to application. The idea being to have enough clamp to comfortably hold the torque but with minimum parasitic losses.  This applies to OD engaged only. The springs apply in the disengaged state.

For sure there are differences in the A-type springs according to application; I came across that when rebuilding my PI box. I’m failing to find references for other types, but that’s hardly a reliable guide…..

Nick

You could try reading through these extremely comprehensive notes

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/gearbox

I found an oblique comment suggesting springs differ between models on page of part 1 but not detail.

Suggest the easiest method of getting a definitive answer is to ring Overdrive Services (other the other one whose name temporarily escapes me…..)

19 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

You could try reading through these extremely comprehensive notes

https://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/gearbox

I found an oblique comment suggesting springs differ between models on page of part 1 but not detail.

Suggest the easiest method of getting a definitive answer is to ring Overdrive Services (other the other one whose name temporarily escapes me…..)

Thanks for that Nick.