Brake Cylinder

Matt306

I had a now brakes problem coming out of the garage today.  Quick investigation found no brake fluid. I attached my Gunson one man bleed kit which is pressurised, no loss of fluid from the reservoir indicating a leak. Checked the unions and all is good. 

The one thing which occurred to me is that master cylinder appears to be the same size as the clutch one... i take it this is not correct? (the error in fitting a wrong size cylinder is mine as its a new one i brought, probably off ebay  one late night)

Quoted from RustyRick-

One thing I’ve noticed is that disc brake Heralds have a larger brake fluid reservoir than my all drum version. You can buy an adapter. Might be worth checking.

Rick

I certainly have discs up front, the clutch and brake master appear the same size.

Same size cylinders (in terms of bore) is probably correct on a Herald.  Both 5/8".  Disc brake cars should have a large reservoir ideally but not actually a problem if you check levels regularly.

Fluid gone means you have a leak - somewhere.  Rear wheel cylinders are usually prime suspect (usually soaking the shoes as well) but master cylinder can also fail and fluid will run down the pedal inside the car.  Then it's pipes/joints and (rarely) caliper seals.

Nick

Quoted from Nick Jones-

Same size cylinders (in terms of bore) is probably correct on a Herald.  Both 5/8".  Disc brake cars should have a large reservoir ideally but not actually a problem if you check levels regularly.

Fluid gone means you have a leak - somewhere.  Rear wheel cylinders are usually prime suspect (usually soaking the shoes as well) but master cylinder can also fail and fluid will run down the pedal inside the car.  Then it's pipes/joints and (rarely) caliper seals.

Nick

I couldnt see signs of a leak on the car... I'll have another look though and keep an eye. To be fare i havent been checking the reservoir, as its solid i have to take the lid off to check.