Vitesse brake pipes routing

G8HSV

Hi.

I am replacing the brake pipes on my Mk2 Vitesse.

The rear pipe which goes from the union on the left of the chassis is routed up around the body above the differential back down to connect to the right hand hose.  Has anyone replaced this with a pipe so that it avoids the prop and handbrake cable but not up and over the differential?  As in the photo shown?
The only reason I can see for this is that should the rear propshaft joint fail then it ‘may’ sever the pipe….but would cause a lot more damage too!

I don't have easy access to my other cars so not sure if the Herald is different.  It is just the rotoflex cars?

Steve

13/60 goes up and over I know its a pain to replace but that's how Triumph did it and I presume for good reason.

Also I bet your M.O.T. examiner would have something to say .

Quoted from G8HSV
Hi.

I am replacing the brake pipes on my Mk2 Vitesse.

The rear pipe which goes from the union on the left of the chassis is routed up around the body above the differential back down to connect to the right hand hose.  Has anyone replaced this with a pipe so that it avoids the prop and handbrake cable but not up and over the differential?  As in the photo shown?
The only reason I can see for this is that should the rear propshaft joint fail then it ‘may’ sever the pipe….but would cause a lot more damage too!

I don't have easy access to my other cars so not sure if the Herald is different.  It is just the rotoflex cars?

Steve

You'd be better off keeping it as it is, rather than changing it.

Or you could do what I accidentally ended up doing, and making the cross over on the bulkhead. This was from a misadventure with a dual circuit brake system which I gave up on, so just fitted the appropriate valve to connect up the pipes where they were supposed to go into the dual circuit system. It doesn't look too busy or cluttered, and the rear pipes are fed along each side of the chassis rails using the correct clips and routing.

Hi

I made a journey up to my lockup and looked at the two Heralds and both have the pipe routed around the rear crossmember.  One is a ’61 (MK1 Chassis) and one a ’63.  I don’t know though if this is the original brake pipe on either whereas the Vitesse is original.

Can anyone advise where the pipe was routed on the Herald?

Steve

Quoted from G8HSV
Hi

I made a journey up to my lockup and looked at the two Heralds and both have the pipe routed around the rear crossmember.  One is a ’61 (MK1 Chassis) and one a ’63.  I don’t know though if this is the original brake pipe on either whereas the Vitesse is original.

Can anyone advise where the pipe was routed on the Herald?

Steve

My '64 1200 has it along the back of the rear crossmember, though I know it isn't the original pipe there's no reason to assume whoever changed it didn't simply copy the original as it goes straight into the 3 way union - the front to rear line was the original and I had an afternoon's fun removing the male/male connector further towards the front and cleaning it up for reuse. I don't think the routing matters much for the MOT, as long as the pipe is secure and not likely to be damaged.

Heralds (Mk2 chassis) and most of the swing axle cars have the pipe going along the rear cross-member as the bracket for the  flexihoses is attached to the rear of the shock towers. (pic)

The Vitesse Mk2 (and I assume roto GT6s) have the flexi-hose brackets on the main chassis rails well ahead of the the axle line and thus needs the pipe to cross over further forward.  Hence the looping over the top of the diff.  Not a very elegant path and I still remember being puzzled by it when I built mine up even though it was decades ago.....

Nick

• 2 weeks later...