Fuel Pipe, Copper or Braided

Chambers

I will hopefully soon be fitting the fuel pipe (tank to carb) to my Spit however I've scrapped the old one. I am wondering, am I better fitting copper as original or is braided the way to go? Also, could someone let me know the correct diameter. I have seen both 1/4 and 5/16 listed. Thanks 

Bigger would allow for more flow if needed in the future if you improve the engine. 

Braided lines can hide problems at least with copper you can see where the fault actually is.  Also the rubber in braided hose can be damaged by alcohol in petrol - I know fuel line should be OK but some line still suffer and you can not see the damage inside the pipe.

The "larger" size was 5/16, and that is almost identical to 8mm. Screwfix sell rolls of 8mm copper tube for a very reasonable price. I recently bought some to put new fuel lines on my Toledo.

Any rubber hose needs to be R9 rated, and from a reputable source. There is much fake hose about, which quickly disintegrates. Most braided hose carries no rating at all, so unless the seller can guarantee it is R9 or better, do not buy. Many sellers say "it is ok for fuel injection", but that is not enough!