Fuel tank venting

UJPrice

Hi all

Freebird here using Joe's account due to being at the Nurburgring and forgetting my login password.  :-/ :-/

Anyway, I'm getting venting problems with the Vitesse. Big vacuum above fuel after a long thrash causing predictable results, stangely only at low speeds once thrash is over - think the fuel pump can cope at high revs.

I can't see any vent holes in the filler cap, so how does it vent?

Glen.

Nick_Jones wrote:
Unusual to get a cap that seals that well..... mine prevents this issue by leaking vigorously!

Must be the huge fuel flows 'caused by the 'Ring...... I know one lap/14 miles dropped my 10CR 2009 tank average mpg from 35 ish to 26!

Nick

Hi Nick

Strangely enough it doesn't do it at high speeds, only after slowing down after a prolonged highish speed run with a full tank. I think the vent was partially blocked and the pump could cope at high revs, but not low. Anyway, fixed now - there is a groove in the cap to vent under the seal, it was full of crud.

Freebs

I had a crappy cap on my first car, a Moggy Minor. It leaked badly with fuel sloshing all over the place. I replaced it with a new one from a garage forecourt (showing my age here, this was in the days when they sold such things) it had the price on it and I left the sticker on. Unknown to me this was covering the vent hole, within a few miles the car was running badly, coughing and gently dying. I was convinced I had put crap petrol in, upon taking the new cap off the filler neck there was a "whoosh" and the problem was clear. I picked the price off and never had the problem again.