Camshaft end float

MarkB

Hi all
I have replaced the front engine plate with the aluminium version along with a new gasket. Now when I tighten up the cam keeper it locks the cam tight. I was warned this could happen but can't find the thread. I know I will have to use shims to correct this. How do you go about it. Will I need to make up shims the same shape as the keeper or will washers be OK.

Thanks

Mark

This isn't caused by the plate thickness, it's caused by the keeper plate tipping at an angle when you tighten the bolts and can happen with the original steel plates too.  Plate thickness just moves the whole cam along the block a bit (may need shimming for this reason if more than a few thou)

Root cause seems to be more compressible modern gaskets and/or sealant used which allows the plate to compress at the bolts but holds off the unclamped centre section.  If you look at the original keeper plates you'll see that it always happens to some extent, with more wear at the centre of the arc.  This with the relatively uncompressible original gasket material and factory Wellseal.

Nick

Hi Nick

Yes that is exactly what is happening. I think I will tightening it enough to get the correct end float using some loctite as well as the spring washers. Its only when its torqued to about 20lbs it locks the cam. A little less and its OK. I could possibly take the front plate off and tap it and use a small bolt/machine screw to pin the centre of the keeper in place and then tighten the bolts. I'll have to see how it goes.

Thanks

Mark

I have been sanding the keeper plate in the centre section where there is already sign of wear. Very hard metal but slowly starting to get the cam turning with the bolts torqued up. No end float yet so I'll keep going. Can't think of another away round this, but hopefully this will work.

Mark