Door Seals required

Tim Bancroft

I am about to have the the doors on my grey car repaired.

Whilst this is being done, I think I would be wise attempting to renew the rubber seals, these being the aperature seals, the weather strips and the seals that sit in the window channel. I imagine most of these are obsolete, but on the off chance, does anyone have any. I think I can obtain the rear weatherstrips, and think  can adapt Spitfire ones for the front.

Also need front door 1/4 lights, or as Triumph called them 'No draught ventilators'!!!!

Any help with these items will be appreciated.

Tim,
The door weatherstrips are readily available, they are virtually identical to the OEM part including the steel reinforcement. Front screen seals are also widely available, they are made by one of the mainstream extrusion manufacturers. The rear screen seal is not so straightforward, but we found that both Chris Witor and Earlpart had them when we did ours (about 6 years ago).
Door aperture seals are another easy one. These were made in two patterns, one with a lip, another where the lip is closed to form a bubble. This change seems to have happened early in Mk2 production, though I've not studied enough cars to be certain on this. The lip type seal is matched to a TR2/3 door seal and is again, easily obtained. I'm unsure on availability of the bubble seal equivalent, as both types are interchangeable I've not done too much research on this.
Quarterlight seals are more difficult. One side was historically available from Chris Witor as a NOS part, I can't remember which side and these may now have sold out. The other side has been unavailable for many years. I was in touch with an Australian source which sold a kit of raw extrusion to be assembled to produce an appropriate seal. Hopefully one of our Aus based correspondents will be familiar with this?
The rear quarter window seals aren't something I've investigated, but I suspect they will be a fairly simple channel seal and easily matched,
Cheers,
Bill.

Thanks Bill, as usual most useful.

Gonna have a four doors re-skinned, so it would be oggd to have the seals all watertight.

Also have the sunroof taken out, and that wing that I bought from you fitted plus localised repairs. Of course this will mean a re-paint.

When are you and Karen gonna step back into the 2000 mk1 market? Remember RBRR next year!

By the way saw your old car the other day, looking mean on its TR6 steels and lowered.

timbancroft61 wrote:
When are you and Karen gonna step back into the 2000 mk1 market? Remember RBRR next year!

Hmmmm..... Mk1 PI....... probably not the most sensible option for Karen's daily commute!
So what criteria makes a car eligible for the RBRR, ie how much Triumph? Is a Triumph with a foreign engine eligible? And what about a foreigner with a Triumph engine? Is his a can of worms?????

Quote:
By the way saw your old car the other day, looking mean on its TR6 steels and lowered.

I hope it's finally received a new diff! We still miss that one, but Heralds take up so much less space.
Cheers,
Bill.

There's a 1200 Saloon with a 13/60 engine in it down the garden at the moment with my name on it for the RBRR (failing that I'll get a new chassis under the red 1200 estate). I'll have to make sure I get a really good job before I can afford the petrol for a RBRR in a PI, at least if Bill's co-driving.....

The Pi is such a useable car, can cope with anything. Trip to the shops, or a drive to the south of france - they are so useable.

One of the weird things about the Triumph scene is that they are so under-rated. How many have been broken to keep TRs on the road? I feel that the Pi is the better car, this is not based upon any major use of a TR. A real eye opener for me was the first RBRR I took part in, so many big saloons taking part, the crews obviously knew something. The pace that these cars can do is very good and they are more than capable of keeping up with a good modern.

As Karen is looking for a daily driver I'd say look out for a nice mk2 2500S or TC as a daily driver. No depreciation, just fun in owning a relatively unusual car that with a few minor mods such a blast to drive.

Archived