Fitting a stag door

andyc

Hi I have a second hand drivers door to fit (once its been painted) does anyone have any helpful hints or suggestions, things to avoid etc. Other than don't drop it on your foot of course. All advice gratefully received.

Andy

They are self expanatory really.

Only thing with door fitting is to not tighten the bolts up too tight, so you can move it around to ensure correct alignment and fit (but not too loose that it moves too easily).
You may also need to adjust the door catch on the B pillar, if it's a different door. Get the fit right, then adjust the striker.

Hello Andy,

what I do with 2000 doors, working without assistance, (I'm assuming the Stag door hinges are the same?) is to screw two studs into the door to help align the door and the hinge so as to get the screws started.

Alec

Andy,

Are you leaving the hinges attached to the A-post? If so th ejob is easy. The hinges where they attache to the doors are long, so all you do is slide the door onto the hinges then fit the nuts hand-tight to allow adjustment. This canm be done single-handed.
If changing the hinges as well you really need assistance as the doors are long and heavy.

thanks to everyone for their comments and hints, Hinges are already on the door, and I suspect it has been reskinned looking at the state of it. Piman, I like the idea of fitting studs to help location.

Unfortunately the door came fully furnished so I didn't see the sense in removing it all, mind you knowing my luck the window motor will be shot and the glass stuck.

This will teach me to bend the door on a wall won't it?

Andy

Archived