why gt6 door class has concave?

molten

Well just my thoughts;

The Spitfire was intended to be a medium speed sports car, driven around with the roof down 40 - 70mph nippy car. When the GT6 was designed witha bigger engine and integral aerodynamic roof (for 1960's) the top speed went up. Also as a GT it was expected to do some high speed cruising 70 - 90mph.

At speed above 70mph the glass tends to get pulled outwards by the slipstream. I think the curve was intended to strengthen the frame/shell in keeping the glass / quarter light air tight.

The curved glass in the side windows completes what is formed by the curved glass in the windshield and the rear hatch - essentially a segmented convex lens to collect and concentrate the heat from the sun into the passenger compartment.  This was all very carefully thought out, to omit no resource for augmenting the GT6 hypocaust.

rotoflex wrote:
The curved glass in the side windows completes what is formed by the curved glass in the windshield and the rear hatch - essentially a segmented convex lens to collect and concentrate the heat from the sun into the passenger compartment.  This was all very carefully thought out, to omit no resource for augmenting the GT6 hypocaust.

(clap)  Inspired!   :-)

rotoflex wrote:

Keh? :P
I from Barcelona, I learn english from a boooooooooook.

So will not have any affect at all on the spitfire.
Cheers Bill

Scott

Archived