Fuel tank rust removal

Adrianb

5 minutes ago, standardthread said:

Sorry to add my final post on the subject, the Wikipedia take on the subject of ethanol being hygroscopic. Not a quote from a forum.

image.png

Interesting, ok so from Wiki but who posted it and what is their background? Wiki isn't a scientific body, just an internet information site.

I don't know if the problems that are attributed to ethanol are real or not, on a personal level the fuel hoses in mt triumph are fine, bought from a proper supplier, I leave the petrol tank as it is at the end of the season and at the start of the next don't have any problems although I use E5 only. I suspect that people who have had problems with fuel hoses bought off the bay and blame ethanol would have had the same problems with non ethanol fuel - rubbish hoses. After all there are cars here that run on E5, E10 & E85. I ran my previous modern on E10 for 10 years and no issues.

Couldn't edit my previous post and forgot to add a point about specific cars.

It thus poses potential problems for Dolomite owners where there is a large, low lying expanse of petrol tank for water to accumulate over time to cause pin holes (a problem I had as the car was garaged). Or, Herald and Vitesse owners where the lowest point of the petrol tank is the drain tube/plug where a good 100mm of water can collect over time. The key phrase being 'accumulation'.

I agree, the Wiki source isn't purely scientific but the source references are in the article.

26 minutes ago, standardthread said:

It thus poses potential problems for Dolomite owners where there is a large, low lying expanse of petrol tank for water to accumulate over time to cause pin holes

That has always been a problem on Dolomites, even before unleaded, never mind ethanol. If you get water in the tank, with non-ethanol petrol, it absolutely WILL sit on the bottom and rust it out. With ethanol, it can absorb some of it and you may get away with it as long as the car is in regular use.

Where do you stand on silicon brake fluid?