Matt Mason

Im currently refitting the bonnet after new chassis change and bulkhead restore.
But im fast running out of hair to pull out!!!
The bonnet wants to sit to one side and has a gap of 20mm to the doors!
Both of the doors fit with a nice gap up the windscreen and to the rear quarters.
Do you think it should be possible to get right by bonnet adjusters alone?
My worry is i welded the front bonnet brackets/to chassis tube on wrong ( they went back on the old marks from the wrong 13/60 type )

Any ideas

Matt

Hi bill

Its A secondhand restored chassis  And according to the the workshop manual its within mm of being setup right. The bulkhead had new rain gutters and lots of steel let in to get rid of the rust holes. It had no changes to the rear tub.

Don't put the springs on that engage on the bonnet stays.  For some reason, I found removing these, and hence the force they exerted, made the job a whole lot easier for me.

Try remanufacturing the little steel plates that the bonnet frame bolts onto.  Make them oversize, with really long slots in them, allowing a wide range of adjustment of bonnet position.  Do you know the ones I mean?

Also, patience! Walking away for a week or so helps out!

You're happy that the chassis riggers are within tolerance and the bulkhead is straight. In theory, the bulkhead is fixed in position with no adjustment. In practice there is some leeway with the bulkhead, but taking the bonnet gap to 20mm would be at the outer limits of any available movement.
Producing elongated bonnet pivot plates is a solution which provides further range of adjustment. Bear in mind the side effect that the font overriders will be further forward than intended, relative to the bonnet. If the discrepancy lies further back, the entire front valance will sit forward, so the back edge fails to align with the wheelarch.
There are any number of ways to compensate for alignment errors, but there is always a trade-of in some other area.
Cheers,
Bill.

I concur, Bill, on your point about the side effects of elongated pivot plates....mine is exactly as you describe....but better that, IMHO, than a hoofing gap 'twixt door and bonnet.

The juggling and problem solving is what makes it fun....yay!  (Keep telling yourself that!)

I spent my formative years in test engineering, I'm afraid I get a bit obsessive about trying to fix causes rather than symptoms! In practice there has to be some compromise, we are rarely happy to go back to stage one and start again - it's not like someone's life depends on panel alignments.
I may be resorting to elongated plates on my own 1200, the front chassis was cut-off and re-aligned by a previous owner following a minor accident. It's not right, and it's goingto annoy the hell out of me, but I don't want the car sat waiting any longer.....
Cheers,
Bill.

its of iterest I studied the workshop manual and parts list and decided that the photo shows the slot at the bottom must be engineering wise upside down the bonnet pivot should be on the
hole(as there is no bush or spigot just nipped enough to allow rotation) and the up down on the slot, which is tightend to maintain its height position  not as my triumph book shows ..????
you cant tighten a pivoting bush onto a slotted hole and expect it to work 
may be its  just my boots glasses,,,Peter

if all else fails you may need to tilt the baukhead forwards by packing the rear mounts ,
we spent a lot of time getting the chassis right but had to use loads of packers to get the body
lines and gaps right, but as you have good gaps A post to glass frame then baukhead sounds about right .. have beer or two    peter

Well done Matt!
Peter, I had a think...
The elongated holes can be lowermost holes of the plates, and they can indeed act as the pivot point for the bonnet frame, because the adjustment rod linked to the suspension turret will locate the whole lot, and maitain an accurate pivot point.

Cheers, Russ

[quote by=matt.mason link=Blah.pl?b=hervit,m=1175541959,s=12 date=1176242987]I did as sugested and made longer pivot plates , in the end it only needed an extra 1/2" of ajustment.
Matt[/quote]

well some previous owner of my car (grr to whoever it was) decided the bonnet was too close to the door on the drivers side so decided to angle grind the top bit of the door off!!!...as you do.
The passenger side is still slightly larger however so will use your longer pivot plates idea as it need to move the whole bonnet rather than just the tie rods.
Thanks 4 idea
Ali

Archived