67 Mk1 GT6 restoration

byakk0

originally the top piece would be black plastic mould as the continuation of the black dashpad, between the plastic mould and the card would be a chrome strip, very slim but just enough to see it. you could use an aluminium strip. with a little bend at one side and polish it like chrome.
This way the chrome strip from the dash itself continues in the door. Need looking !

Thanks for the pic. I'm eventually adding wooden door caps to continue the dash.
Nice to know about the'chrome strip'. Simple enough to play with.
As for the shift gaiter, I'm torn between using the old and worn oem black gaiter and making a new one, which will either be black or grey.
The reasoning for using the original is a little nostalgia, but also because it is original, and I've updated and/or replaced so much on my car i want some factory stuff.

Hi Hazen
I have been following your thread with interest. Keep up the good work.
My GT6 Mk2 has wooden door caps from a T2000, sourced from the scrapyard back in the 1980s when they were plentiful (T2000s and scrapyards).
They fit with only a very slight trim to the front edge and give a nice comfy wide shelf to rest your arm on!
Photo attached.
Regards

Ian F

Thanks Ian! That looks nice. Glad you are enjoying my build. Unfortunately it's slowing down for the winter due to cold temps outside (driveway shop!)
No chance of me finding a 2000 at a breakers over here, in fact no one has Triumph's anymore in my area. But, I have woodworking tools at my disposal, so I'll fab up a couple.

Say, could you do me a favor?
I need some measurements from your door card. (Prefer imperial but metric works.)
A)from the top of the card to the top of the black
B)Width of one 'stripe'
C)Top of the black to the top of the top 'stripe'

only managed a few minutes this week, but I got the rest of the cards cut out. Still needs more fettling but I'm getting close.
I picked up a hollow punch set and used the 1/2" for cutting the clip holes. Much neater and quicker than using a 1/2" drill bit I used in previous attempts.

If you are wondering about the condition of the hardboard, I've been re-purposing scrap from work. Can't beat free supplies besides, no one will see the tire marks ect. when I'm done.
As for the torn up drivers seat with bare foam cushion? Didn't I just reupholster a driver's seat? Yep. I just don't want to tear up all that work. I have a habit of putting tools in my back pocket and sitting down before remembering there are there. Besides, with a project like this, you never know when something will go haywire. Better to tear up a torn up seat, IMHO.

Quoted from GT6 1
Looks like the gear stick gater would also be blue if you had that trim ?? didn't realize that.

Its not, Its just black. Theres a blue Shine of the Seats.

However theres a roadtest with a white gt6 in front of a mountain covered in snow, with a colored radio h-frame. Pictures are black and white, but definately a colored interior.

My GT is factory royal blue with shadow blue interior, the oh-sh*t-bar is dark blue!
Others i've seen are plain black.

Yes I have been told the gater was in black , but the red herring car a white prototype that all the pictures were taken of, had extra bits and different bits that never made it to production. Also the interior trim we have is actually Midnight blue not Shadow blue, as Shadow blue was Mk III. All references you find state 27 as Shadow blue and everyone assumes it is because it is a light blue.

Quoted from byakk0
Thanks Ian! That looks nice. Glad you are enjoying my build. Unfortunately it's slowing down for the winter due to cold temps outside (driveway shop!)
No chance of me finding a 2000 at a breakers over here, in fact no one has Triumph's anymore in my area. But, I have woodworking tools at my disposal, so I'll fab up a couple.

Say, could you do me a favor?
I need some measurements from your door card. (Prefer imperial but metric works.)
A)from the top of the card to the top of the black
B)Width of one 'stripe'
C)Top of the black to the top of the top 'stripe'

I can do that for you Hazen, have my cards off the car in garage, and are originlas.

Quoted from byakk0
Thanks Ian.

Edwin,
A body color O crap bar?  That's cool. Do you have a very early Mk1? Mine is #1293, factory royal blue also, but the bar is black-at least I think it is. Now I need to go look very close at it.

No, its actually a late one, #11546. its not painted. when i replaced my dash i made a little cut on the back of the bar (at the mounts) but its full color plastic-ish.

i havent seen it before on other cars, so curious if there are more royal blue gt' with a colored bar..

Quoted from GT6 1
Yes I have been told the gater was in black , but the red herring car a white prototype that all the pictures were taken of, had extra bits and different bits that never made it to production. Also the interior trim we have is actually Midnight blue not Shadow blue, as Shadow blue was Mk III. All references you find state 27 as Shadow blue and everyone assumes it is because it is a light blue.

in the factory communication is also called shadow blue isn't it ? i bought a kit from newton commercials, they didnt have the blue option available at that time, but they used the midnight blue material.
I have some original material, the colors look very much alike, the original is a bit more greyish, but that could be just fading from the years.

Hazen , piping goes along the top, down the two ends and on the inner part of the wheel arch, only the two bottom edges that touch the floor don't have piping. As for the door cards. measurements are :

Top of card to black section 9" Black section to first heat molded stripe 1" Top of card to first stripe 6" black section to top stripe 3" stripes 1" apart. 3 stripes, but another wider one just on the edge where the vinyl joins the black section.

Hope that makes some sense.

Ant. 🙂

Thanks Ant.
Looks like I guessed correctly on the stripe width of 1" on layout I did on my door card. I think I put the top of the black section at 8 3/4" from the top of the door card in the posted pic.
(that would be the red lines. I measured from the bottom for the black lines, hence the funny angle)

In the join between colors I may put in some black piping, but I'm still toying with the idea.
Now to go buy some more vinyl.

Worked on perfecting the some of the interior hardboard panels.
Discovered I needed to redo (again) the upper pieces that go above the wheel arches. In my first attempt I put the mounting holes directly over the holes in the body. This works great if you use aftermarket plastic push in style clips, but I want to use the OEM clips, and they are offset, so I made a new set with 1/2" offset holes all the way around--that was take II.
But, I realized there are three holes the long panel over the wheel arch shares with the upper panel--the clip goes from the lower panel through the upper panel, so the lower three holes on the upper panel require the holes exactly over the mounting holes in the body. I re-punched those panels so as to get the location of the needed hole correct and thought I may use them anyway, but decided against it as the elongated hole made for a weak spot--so, I remade the upper panel a third time. Fits like a charm.

by the way, the three common holes uses a clip that is slightly longer (the one on the right). see how they vary in shape?

I also made a new shift boot. I had just enough scrap left of the grey and blackvinyl to pull it off.
The original one is in mostly decent condition, but if you look closely it has some tan speckles on it, which at this point I have not yet attempted to clean them off. Also some PO decided to attach the boot to the tunnel with screws.
I'm actually torn between using the oem one and my my new one. So little of my original car remains, and this piece would be a nice way to keep a little of the old intact, plus it fits the color scheme so I doubt anyone would really notice.
Feel free to voice your opinion in the comments below.

Mid progress.

And the final product.

Grey with black piping, mostly.
Door cards will be grey on the top, black on the bottom, eventually with a wooden cap (could be a winter project this year)
The rear panels will be grey with black piping along the tops.
Carpet will either be black with grey trim or grey with black trim, I'm undecided. Need to work up some concepts in that department.
Headliner is a stock Longhorn from Canley's, with a white plastic hinge cover with integrated 3rd brakelight of my own making

center console

seat
~Need more vinyl to complete the seat and the rest of the interior.

door card concept

3rd brake light