Vitesse MKII front valance

sam93

Hello all,

I've finally got my vitesse bonnet fitted for the final time on my herald. I've been playing around with the front valance & I've adjusted it as much as currently possible. My issue that I have with it is that there is still a gap between the lower edge of the bonnet & the top of the valance. The gap varies at different points, from 0.75" upto 1.5".

First question, is there a difference between a herald 1200 valance & a 13/60 valance ? I can only presume that there is as the overriders are different, as I've got them fitted.

Second question, due to how the bonnet opens, I know there needs to be a gap, but how big should it be ?

Lastly, anyone got a 13/60 or vitesse valance for sale. :  )

Cheers,
Sam.

The Vitesse valance has a scalloped back edge with a flange along it to clear the forward mounted radiator.
The 13/60 valance has a stepped back edge which sits very close to the bottom edge of the bonnet, less than 1cm gap on a good one.
The 1200 valance the step of the 13/60 but has a flange to mount the grille, but I guess you'll have noticed that already! Not a good fit under a Vitesse or 13/60 bonnet.

With the regular Herald radiator fitted I see no reason why a 13/60 valance wouldn't work, not possible with a proper Vitesse though.

Cheers,
Bill.

13/60 also uses different stepped brackets for attachment by the over-riders.  13/60 valance can be used on a Vitesse but needs a trim to clear the rad as Bill says - plus the 13/60 brackets - although mine has stayed on for 24 years with the original brackets and a couple of bolts short..... ONe day I'll happen across the correct brackets (or maybe even a correct valance)

Nick

93 wrote:
Happened to have a couple of pics of the two types of valance brackets. The stepped ones are for the Vitesse.

No - stepped brackets are 13/60 only.

The Vitesse brackets have different part numbers to the 1200/948 types, but I'm unsure how they differ as these all superficially look the same,

Cheers,
Bill.

Okay then, looks like I'm going to have to purchase a new front valance as my paths for a second hand one have fallen short. My questions for you are :

Which valance will suit my herald 1200 MKII chassis best; the 13/60 one or the Vitesse MKII one ?

Also, I would automatically choose metal over fibreglass for the material. However what is the general consensus on this ?

Sam.

2880 wrote:
Which valance will suit my herald 1200 MKII chassis best; the 13/60 one or the Vitesse MKII one ?

The fit of the 13/60 valance to the bonnet gives a cleaner line, there will be no clearance issue with your car in using this type. If you want a Vitesse lookalike though and hope to convince observers that it has a straight six engine, then the Vitesse valance would be the way to go.

Quote:
Also, I would automatically choose metal over fibreglass for the material. However what is the general consensus on this ?

I don't know why, but the fibreglass valances I have seen in recent years have all been cut so they are an inch short front to back. They end forward of the wheelarch and look terrible. There's no reason I can see for doing this, I suspect the mould was poorly created in the first place.
If you go for a metal valance, the new ones are all modified from 1200 tooling, the back edge is altered to fit the different applications. In my experience, some work has been needed to make them fit correctly. Originals are difficult to find in good order,
Cheers,
Bill.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I received my 2nd hand valance to restore today. I've just got a quick question for you all with regard to two of the brackets which are part of it. They are the ones in the centre, see picture below. As the valance is going on my herald will probably remove them during the restoration, but I was just interested in what they were for.

Cheers,
Sam.

Hi Sam

Pleased you received the valance and hope it is no worse than you expected. The two brackets fix to the chassis with self tapping bolt/screw and hold the lower part of the valance in position and stop it from flapping about so I would have thought you will need them. I would have thought they are the same as later heralds not sure if they were fitted to the earlier cars though. It will be self explanatory if you can offer it up to the front of your chassis.

Regards

Mark

Cheers guys, I think they will come in useful as my old 1200 valance does not have them & it did make a bit of a racket. The problem I can forsee is that they may foul with my oil cooler, but I can always move them if needed.

Also Stephend, I do have pictures & useful info about fitting the vitesse bonnet to a herald. I will sort out a new post for it, in the next few weeks once it's a bit more built up again.

• 1 year later...