Overheating after alternator swap

Baldry1500

Hi,
i recently switched to a high performance alternator from standard lucas and ever since my 1500 has started to overheat at the first sign of a queue. Is this a common feature? Any ideas on how to solve? Other than switching back to lucas alternator?
Thanks in advance

Baldry,
Can't be the alternator, Baldry, but the same belt drives the water pump.  Sure that it is tight enough?  New belt?  Stretched a bit?  Are the alternator and pump pulleys the same V-section?

JOhn

Belt is tight and the same v section. Thoughts were along the lines of higher voltage impacting the temp guage?
either that or a freak of nature fix one thing and another breaks within 10 miles of the repair and you automatically assume the faults are related

Sounds more like genuine over heating than electrics to me, wouldn't you be getting strange readings when the engine was cold otherwise?

I would be drawn towards the belt too. could it be too tight and have upset the water pump?

This sounds awfully familiar. One of my own faults, i changed the alternator, has to loosen one of the bracket bolts, which also fixes the water pump to the block, you can guess the rest? Forgot to retighten it and slowly lost coolant, high temperatures, lower whaen driving. I only discovered the loose bolt when i finally had to change the head gasket  :B

Archived